Eggs were wiggling now they have stopped

Tillyschickens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
I have two eggs left in my incubator one bantam and one normal. Yesterday they were rocking but have since stopped. It's day 23 today and these appear to be alive but haven't pipped. What do I do??

I have two eggs left in my incubator one bantam and one normal. Yesterday they were rocking but have since stopped. It's day 23 today and these appear to be alive but haven't pipped. What do I do??
I candled them today (Day 24) and there was no signs of pipping or movement inside the eggs. They stopped moving on 22 so I'm worried they are dead. Both eggs are so full you can only see the air sac.

If you haven't seen movement unfortunately they probably have died. You can chip away at the shell over the air sac to confirm. I'm sorry - I hope I'm wrong but this situation doesn't have many happy endings if there's no movement inside. Often for some reason or another the chick was unable to break the shell and ran out of air.

For future reference, if you are inclined to try and help - check out this article. It gives steps you can take to assist and how to avoid harm in the process. Whether to help or not is a personal decision- some choose to let the egg be. Personally I will help and the majority of the ones I've helped go on to live normal happy lives- again ... 100% up to you whether to do it- the article is a fantastic guide. I read it over and again any time I've got chicks hatching - whether anyone needs assistance or not!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

If you haven't seen movement unfortunately they probably have died. You can chip away at the shell over the air sac to confirm. I'm sorry - I hope I'm wrong but this situation doesn't have many happy endings if there's no movement inside. Often for some reason or another the chick was unable to break the shell and ran out of air.

For future reference, if you are inclined to try and help - check out this article. It gives steps you can take to assist and how to avoid harm in the process. Whether to help or not is a personal decision- some choose to let the egg be. Personally I will help and the majority of the ones I've helped go on to live normal happy lives- again ... 100% up to you whether to do it- the article is a fantastic guide. I read it over and again any time I've got chicks hatching - whether anyone needs assistance or not!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
I'll leave them until tomorrow. They were rocking but I haven't seen that since the morning of day 23. The egg was just black when I candled it so I'm hoping i just couldn't see it.

I played it sounds of chicks chirping inside eggs and it started rocking. I don't know why it's so late hatching. Will it need help now?

I played it sounds of chicks chirping inside eggs and it started rocking. I don't know why it's so late hatching. Will it need help now?

Oh dear, I am sorry I haven't been on BYC for a few days so am just seeing your message now. I hope the egg in question hatched out a fluffy chick for you. Is there any possibility it was in a "cold spot" in its location in the incubator? Most often it's a malposition and/or a shrink wrap that will cause the chick to not be able to leave the egg on its own.

If you candle the egg and can see the chick breathing - it's pretty distinct even in a very full egg - then I do put a hole for air exchange so it doesn't run out of air if for whatever reason it cannot pip (break through the shell). From there I follow the guide in slowly moving along the assisted hatch directions.

Back
Top Bottom