Eggs(what are my hens doing?)

JasperMoon

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Ohio
so 1 of our hens had built a nest out of the floor bedding on the floor, Usually we get two eggs each day from her (plus 1-2 from our other hens) but yesterday we found four eggs in her nest and there were none earlier that day. Is it possible that she is stealing eggs from the nesting boxes that are like a foot off the ground? or is something else going on?

One of your other girls decided to join the club. Chickens can't do more than push an egg around, so they can't move them to another nest easily without breakage. They usually leave eggs where they are.

so 1 of our hens had built a nest out of the floor bedding on the floor, Usually we get two eggs each day from her (plus 1-2 from our other hens) but yesterday we found four eggs in her nest and there were none earlier that day. Is it possible that she is stealing eggs from the nesting boxes that are like a foot off the ground? or is something else going on?
Wow! 2 eggs a day is a lot but 4 is crazy. If the eggs were dropped they would probably have cracks, and I have never heard of chickens intentionally stealing eggs. If you are really curious, you could try setting up a chicken camera. Trail cams work well if you have one.

Wow! 2 eggs a day is a lot but 4 is crazy. If the eggs were dropped they would probably have cracks, and I have never heard of chickens intentionally stealing eggs. If you are really curious, you could try setting up a chicken camera. Trail cams work well if you have one.
yeah. i think another hen might be laying there ^^

It sounds like you have 4 layers, and they are following the leader in laying in the floor nest. It takes 26+ hours for an egg to be produced so I don't think she is laying two eggs a day, somebody in the coop is sneaking lol.

I have actually seen evidence that my broody hens can and will steal eggs from upper level nests.

I had checked but not gathered around 10 am. At 4 pm when I gathered the dark egg that had been in the upper level nest was under the broody. Only having one that lays dark it had to have been moved. Other times all eggs have been in the broody girls nest. Laid there? Moved there? We will never know.

I have actually seen evidence that my broody hens can and will steal eggs from upper level nests.

I had checked but not gathered around 10 am. At 4 pm when I gathered the dark egg that had been in the upper level nest was under the broody. Only having one that lays dark it had to have been moved. Other times all eggs have been in the broody girls nest. Laid there? Moved there? We will never know.
Wow thanks

They always find a way to amaze us.

My broody beast is a bantam Cochin by the way.
This year she is 8! No laying this spring yet from her or the 7 year old.

Back
Top Bottom