EGGS... WHAT CHICKENS PRODUCE THE BEST EGGS???

How many Eggs do Hens lay on an average day or if it goes by that ?? And then how many do Leghorns lay

Also Do Brahmas produce eggs you can eat? I was reading this thing with like all breeds of chickens and it only said for heavy meat production???

Have to vote for my Rhode Island Reds.
cool.png
Each one usually lays about six eggs a week. I am guessing... I almost always have one egg a day from each of them. Every once in a while, I will only have one egg, so one has taken the day off. LOL

And they are much friendlier than the anconas or the dominique. I don't treat my chickens as pets, but the reds will allow me to handle them or pick them up. Catching the others is like catching greased pigs!

I chose the breads I have after researching at the Ideal Poultry website. You can click on each breed of chicken and it will tell you about it. It will say how well it produces eggs, if it is friendly with people, and how good it is for meat. That might be a place for you to look if you are trying to decide.

Cassandra

Quote:
I use this chart all the time. It is VERY handy!!!! I think this is your best bet for making your decision. Also, the hatcheries offer information on the various breeds online. Go to their websites as well.

Last edited:
I think it's a mistake to get too hung up on egg production. You aren't going to save money with a backyard flock. We simply can't compete with the economies of scale of the factory farms. Think of your coop as a hobby, like an aquarium, except with fringe benefits. You wouldn't keep aquarium fish that were boring, drab, dull or fragile, right?

Pick a breed that's hardy, interesting, attractive and good at foraging. If they lay 150 eggs a year instead of 300, that just means you can have six instead of three before you get too many eggs to even give away. Six will eat a lot more of your bugs than three will, too.
smile.png

I love henderson chart!

but, I have found the egg laying is off a bit! maybe stains of chickens are different in other countries!

My Brahmas are great & lay everyday & are great foregers so are my EE!

& Yes you can eat the eggs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom