Eggs with no shells

Quote:
Excellent!!
thumbsup.gif
My hens don't prefer oyster shells either, so I mix it right in with their feed and they pick it up that way. I've never had an egg with out a shell or a weak shell but my hens did stop laying when I started giving them too many treats!

Just curious what treats you were giving to your girls? About the only treat I give is scratch and table scraps. Are you referring to backing off either of those?

Quote:
This is exactly what I had to do. One hen was so picky that she would not eat layer feed unless she had no choice, so no calcium. No calcium, no eggs.
sad.png

Treats like yogurt and cabbage are sort of OK. My link on Cure for Thin Eggshells above includes a list of calcium-rich treats.

My girls get healthy treats like fresh veggies and fruit, whole grain bread soaked in buttermilk, BOSS, dried mealworms and sometimes some cereal like cherrios, oatmeal. I think that some of the girls were only eating the treats and not getting enough feed where all the nutrients/vitamins are. I would have never thought of it, except someone on this site suggested it, thankfully. So now I'm careful about not giving them so much; some days I just let them eat the feed with nothing extra, this way I know they are getting enough. Just like the rest of my pets, they are spoiled rotten and some days they chase me around and I think they're saying "Hey what happened to our goodies!"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom