Eggs with very soft shells..?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skatcatla, Jan 26, 2008.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    One of my girls seems to have a glitch. She keeps laying eggs with these very soft shells, almost like water balloons. They sort of split open on touch.

I don't understand why...she gets the same feed, free-ranging time and access to oyster shell as all the other girls. Anyone have any thoughts to what's going on?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If she is a new layer, it can take time for her system to get used to the egg laying thing. If it is an old layer, her system could be taking a break and just not working right at the moment. Sounds like you have the food and supplements down so other than that. Not sure.

3. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks silkie, I guess they are somewhat new? I'd say they've all been laying for between 1 and 3 months. The weird thing is, I'm not exactly sure which girl it is!

4. lauracarmer

lauracarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    I've had two of these weird eggs over the past week except the shells were a bit harder and don't split open. These girls have been laying for maybe 3 weeks now at the most, so they're fairly new.

You know what I'm realizing? Eggs are weird! [​IMG]

5. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    give her some oystershells.

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    It might be the stress from the construction. Was it before they moved into the new coop or after the move in? Did anything change in their environment?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by