Eggs Wobbling/No pip....Help please!!!

welcome-byc.gif
I Agree with the other posts. I have helped many chicks hatch. This is the way I look at it, if they they have pipped but not hatched after a few hours I check to see if the chick is stuck. If it is, I moisten around the pip or zip and carefully break away some of the shell like the chick would when zipping. If I see any blood vessels I stop and put the chick back into the hatcher. After a couple of hours or so have past, I check the progress of the chick. One of the biggest problems I have found with many people who incubate and hatch chicks is that they are afraid to put the humidity to high during lockdown. (I keep mine around 75%) The chicks need the humidity so they can turn in their shells to zip and hatch. I just had a hatch that started yesterday. Out of 61 good eggs so far, 4 eggs left to hatch. I helped 4 chicks and so far so good. If you aren't careful the chicks can die and many do but if they are doomed anyway some assistance isn't always a bad thing. The humidity need to be lower during incubation as the eggs need to loose some moisture so the chicks can develop. If the humidity is to high during incubation then the chicks can drown in their shell. I keep my humidity 35% to 40% during incubation and the last 3 days during lockdown I bring it up to 75%. When the chicks hatch the humidity will go up more over 80% but that is ok as it will come back down as the chicks dry out some. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
I have watched hen stare at a wobbling egg for ages. Funniest thing ever.
I have a hen sitting on eggs, I have seen the wibble wobble no pipping yet! I though I was seeing things. Today a different hen sat on eggs while normal hen took break. I am thinking eggs were wobbling as she was going nuts. HAHA I can not wait till they hatch they have been sat on since April 5th, but start of that was a dove (yes a dove was sitting on it and mommy chicken (no longer sitting other hen took over) I am thinking by Wed we should have babies!!! :)

I have been reading lockdown posts while I wait to make sure my temperature is stable before going to bed, entered lockdown at about 10. As I hovered over the window watching the temperature I realized I was watching eggs, way too soon to start, this is hard. I think all of us might be a little crazy, or soon will be. But I appreciate the questions (I had wondered about the vents, opened both of mine after reading the answer above) and I appreciate all the knowledge and the willingness to share, thanks to all of you.

As of this morning, we officially had 5 chicks out and one that is about to break loose any sec. The one that was breech was still fighting (WOW!! what a fighter) but wasn't making any progress
roll.png
So I helped
he.gif
LOL but he popped out and is doing really well and that makes 6 chicks out of the shell with another out and sec. And I have a little giant incubator but we installed a fan so its a forced air incubator

Oh yea...and at 1am, the fan in the incubator stopped working and the temp would not stay right (tried to make it still incubator...not for me) so we hurried and got another fan installed...apparently it helped cause the temps got stable after a few mins and before we had gone to sleep, we only had the two chicks out. Thank goodness!!! I will be going today to get better and more expensive fans....as Ive learned my lesson on the cheapies.
barnie.gif

Thank you :) The little chicks is just playing with the other chicks LOL You wouldnt even know that he needed to be helped out.
I'm glad you did what you did. If he's looking okay but just needed that little tug then that's fine. But yeah some folks see a little pip & think "It's not hatching, I should let him out!" which ends up making the chick bleed to death, or much weaker (runt) & whatnot. :(

Now comes the big question, can you share some pics of the chicks with us? :D

I'm glad you did what you did. If he's looking okay but just needed that little tug then that's fine. But yeah some folks see a little pip & think "It's not hatching, I should let him out!" which ends up making the chick bleed to death, or much weaker (runt) & whatnot. :(

Now comes the big question, can you share some pics of the chicks with us? :D
I sure will as soon as they are dried and feathered out. Still have one hatching. And thank you :) I wouldn't have helped unless I knew he needed it and it had been 24 hours with no progress...plus I knew with him being at the opposite end, this was why it was so much harder for him to make it.

Back
Top Bottom