Eggs zipping!

OK, take a breath here. We have all been in this situation, it's crappy for sure but you mustn't beat yourself up. You had NO idea that that egg was still viable. For interest, which egg in the photos is this one? Is this the blue one?
Did you stop the bleeding when you hit the vein? Cornstarch is handy for this, just FYI in case you run into this situation again.
Did you take the rest of the eggs out of the bator?

I tossed the 2 eggs i opened that were bad, one stunk to high heaven, the other was all dried up didnt look like was fully developed, then the 3rd egg which was a dark olive one and didnt look good under candling was the one i opened and had bloody membrane which i hit, no i didnt use cornstarch, i think the bleeding stopped, so i moistened with coconut oil and placed the shells back on top nest i could, its still alive, i have moistened it twice, seems to have stopped bleeding and its breathing, it wasn't ready, the veins in the membrane appear to be getting less so im hoping its will all be absorbed and it gets out. The little blue egg that i accidentally cracked on the bottom i also moistened and have left in there..then theres 3 others which im not touching..i cant go thru that again..i feel horrible..im sick, i may have killed a viable chick..never again..next time i will let them rot to high heaven before i toss them!

OK, take a breath here. We have all been in this situation, it's crappy for sure but you mustn't beat yourself up. You had NO idea that that egg was still viable. For interest, which egg in the photos is this one? Is this the blue one?
Did you stop the bleeding when you hit the vein? Cornstarch is handy for this, just FYI in case you run into this situation again.
Did you take the rest of the eggs out of the bator?
X100!!
I tossed the 2 eggs i opened that were bad, one stunk to high heaven, the other was all dried up didnt look like was fully developed, then the 3rd egg which was a dark olive one and didnt look good under candling was the one i opened and had bloody membrane which i hit, no i didnt use cornstarch, i think the bleeding stopped, so i moistened with coconut oil and placed the shells back on top nest i could, its still alive, i have moistened it twice, seems to have stopped bleeding and its breathing, it wasn't ready, the veins in the membrane appear to be getting less so im hoping its will all be absorbed and it gets out. The little blue egg that i accidentally cracked on the bottom i also moistened and have left in there..then theres 3 others which im not touching..i cant go thru that again..i feel horrible..im sick, i may have killed a viable chick..never again..next time i will let them rot to high heaven before i toss them!
It's ok... seriously! Just keep doin what yer doin! :hugs:hugs
Thought Id share these to hopefully lift your spirits and give you hope!
Call ducks I assisted a couple of months ago..
They started out looking just like your egg! Last pic is them now.
20180607_193843.jpg
20180607_194102.jpg
20180608_091313.jpg
20180731_134509.jpg

@Fields Mountain Farm @ wow, thank you for posting your pics. Beautiful ducks!
@Darlene415 Dont lose hope. You will find that this process gets easier with more experience just like anything else. You are doing all you can now, let whatever happens happen and let go. You have a huge support group here with absolutely NO JUDGEMENT, so try not to judge yourself too harshly, really! :hugs
:hugs

X100!!

It's ok... seriously! Just keep doin what yer doin! :hugs:hugs
Thought Id share these to hopefully lift your spirits and give you hope!
Call ducks I assisted a couple of months ago..
They started out looking just like your egg! Last pic is them now.View attachment 1533980 View attachment 1533981 View attachment 1533984 View attachment 1533985
Thanks! I love Ducks!! Have had them for 16 years, only a few at a time..i had 3 , 2 of which i hatched, then they were all murdered by raccoon, because i got lazy, thought their pen was predator proof (lived in ny then where raccoons werw the only predator)so i had stopped locking them down in their houses at nite....bog mistake they found a rusted piece of fence and tore their way in...i was devastated, didnt have any for years..then a girlfriend got me 2 babies for my 40th, one died right away (was from duck farm) so i went nack up to the duck farm and got 2 more..they just gave them 2me as they all go to slaughter in NY...long island is known for Pekin duck...so i wnded up with 3..2 of which were not absorbing calcium for some reason, they died at about 4yrs old so now we are left with Stella, our only Pekin Duck..we love her to pieces! She will be 8 in april, we moved to florida last year and before qe built her new pen here she loved in the house with us...she was in heaven...looking to get her a few eggs to hatch as she is lonely and needs friends, after i make her pen bigger for a few more, either pekin or indian runners as ive had then before, i love callducks also but they are hard to hatch i read..obviously im not the best hatcher so i may stick with easier ones! And gonna get another dozen chicken eggs asap for the guys, we wanted atleast a dozen, im still praying for 6, i think that chick may make it...PRAYING!!!!

Thanks! I love Ducks!! Have had them for 16 years, only a few at a time..i had 3 , 2 of which i hatched, then they were all murdered by raccoon, because i got lazy, thought their pen was predator proof (lived in ny then where raccoons werw the only predator)so i had stopped locking them down in their houses at nite....bog mistake they found a rusted piece of fence and tore their way in...i was devastated, didnt have any for years..then a girlfriend got me 2 babies for my 40th, one died right away (was from duck farm) so i went nack up to the duck farm and got 2 more..they just gave them 2me as they all go to slaughter in NY...long island is known for Pekin duck...so i wnded up with 3..2 of which were not absorbing calcium for some reason, they died at about 4yrs old so now we are left with Stella, our only Pekin Duck..we love her to pieces! She will be 8 in april, we moved to florida last year and before qe built her new pen here she loved in the house with us...she was in heaven...looking to get her a few eggs to hatch as she is lonely and needs friends, after i make her pen bigger for a few more, either pekin or indian runners as ive had then before, i love callducks also but they are hard to hatch i read..obviously im not the best hatcher so i may stick with easier ones! And gonna get another dozen chicken eggs asap for the guys, we wanted atleast a dozen, im still praying for 6, i think that chick may make it...PRAYING!!!!
Thanks for the pics of your babies...that does make me feel better!!

@Fields Mountain Farm @ wow, thank you for posting your pics. Beautiful ducks!
@Darlene415 Dont lose hope. You will find that this process gets easier with more experience just like anything else. You are doing all you can now, let whatever happens happen and let go. You have a huge support group here with absolutely NO JUDGEMENT, so try not to judge yourself too harshly, really! :hugs
:hugs
Thank you! I was worried silly... even tho Id assisted chicks and geese, I still made peeps nuts over it! lol
WV can attest to that ..:lau
Oh wow! I hope you can get her some eggs! That would be awesome! :fl
We're all pulling for the lil chick right along with ya! Hang in there! You've done great! :hugs:fl
Thanks for the pics of your babies...that does make me feel better!!
:hugs:hugs:hugs
Any update? I’ve been gone all day. :(

They are so right, don’t beat yourself up. I did the same thing with my first hatch! Many here have! :hugs

And whenever you want to try call ducks, we have hatched quite a few of them, so we’ll hold your hand through those too! ;)
:hugs :hugs
Ya certainly held mine through several! Couldnt have held up without ya! :love

Thank you! I was worried silly... even tho Id assisted chicks and geese, I still made peeps nuts over it! lol
WV can attest to that ..:lau

Oh wow! I hope you can get her some eggs! That would be awesome! :fl
We're all pulling for the lil chick right along with ya! Hang in there! You've done great! :hugs:fl

:hugs:hugs:hugs

:hugs :hugs
Ya certainly held mine through several! Couldnt have held up without ya! :love

:hugs :love

Any update? I’ve been gone all day. :(

They are so right, don’t beat yourself up. I did the same thing with my first hatch! Many here have! :hugs

And whenever you want to try call ducks, we have hatched quite a few of them, so we’ll hold your hand through those too! ;)

Hi there! Sorry i havent been online over the weekend...trying to get my chicken pen finished! So it looks like I have ended up with 5 chicks out of 12, I still have 3 in the incubator but pretty sure they are nothing, but leaving them just incase as I don't want to make another mistake. My husband wants us to get another dozen to hatch right away so they are close in age to these...lol they are soooo adorable! messy, cute and fun! I kind of agree as I don't have a 2nd brooder to purchase chicks and keep quarentined and i dont want risk our chicks getting sick by putting some random hatchery chicks in with them, so probably is the best idea, now that I am more familiar with the whole incubation process I would hope to get a better haych rate...fingers crossed cause I would hate to lose more babies unnessasarily, i realize thats part of hatching but it still stinks! The 5 chicks are doing awesome! Acting normal I think, theyvplay, eat, drink, poopmthen passut, its so cute how they sleep, they are very comfy and dont like the brooder as hot as whay i had read, they like it about 88-90tops, i have chick grit added to their chick starter, non medicated, and i am adding nutri drench tovtheir water, not a lot, thry seem very happy! we are trying to handle them as much as possible and i have been checking them every few hrs for pasty butt but all is good, no problems in the pooping dept. I have to upload pics to post, 3 are light buff but one has a few blackish feathers starting on its wing tips, they were from 2 white eggs and a light brown egg, the olive egg is a brownish chick with lighter markings, and the cutest chick is from the small light blue egg, its a reddish color with lighter markings...thay are all adorable, only wish we had ended up with more! Thanks again for all ur help chicken friends! @WVduckchick @Fields Mountain Farm @igorsMistress

Back
Top Bottom