Eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Branderella, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Branderella

Branderella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    24 weeks and nothing! No squating, and just heard the egg song once a week ago. RIR with a red comb/wattle. SLW very red face and wattle, but a pale small comb. EE with barely any color/comb. Please send some egg laying vibes!

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    It's so hard to wait! Be sure they are on laying mesh and not too many scraps or bread or treats

Let us know.....I love this special time....

Be blessed and be a blessing!

3. Branderella

Branderella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Oh I didnt know that! They get scrap veggies everyday! I guess I better stop!

4. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Most scrap veges are fine. Put them in a container and let them pick through, then throw away what they don't want.

I don't believe in stopping veges and greens. Stop processed foods like bread though if you are worried - moderation remember.

But then I am one who doesn't like feeding pellets because they are also a processed food! Mine only get wheat, a small amount of a mixed grain and free range as often as we can supervise (usually an hour a day and more on weekends)

I think your issue is just that they need a little more time. Check their combs and wattles. They'll get bigger and redder when they're close to laying. Two of yours sound close. Maybe you'll get an egg this week.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I give a few treats but the precominant is their feed....Our feed is the layer, but we also gvie sprouted wheat and oats for extra protein, soaked in whey from our goats milk.

Hope this helps!!!

Be blessed and be a blessing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by