Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bkymnro, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bkymnro

bkymnro New Egg

Jan 1, 2008
    Abilene,TX
    How long can I keep eggs in the refrigerator? When should I consider discarding "old" eggs?

2. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    I'd say it depends on weather or not you wash them.
    Washing eggs removes a protective membrane the protects the insides from bacteria.
    They wont last as long as they would if you don't wash them until right b4 you use them. Typically I'd say they will stay eat-able for 2 -3 months.
    I have never tested how long they stay fresh. I have never had an egg in my frig more then 2 weeks old. Farm fresh brown country eggs sell to fast around these part to go bad....lol

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I try to use eggs before they are 2 weeks old. To find out how fresh they are try filling a cup full of water, then gently put the egg in the water. It will sink to the bottom if it is fresh and float if it is old.

4. azchickadee

azchickadee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    I had been wondering this myself....

5. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    What if the eggs are really dirty??,is it best to let them stay in the fridge dirty for a week then wash..?? will the outside being dirty get into the egg??

6. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    All y'all put your eggs in the fridge? I keep mine in the egg basket on my kitchen counter;they stay fresh 2-3 weeks without refrigeration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by