Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by craig88, May 29, 2011.

1. craig88

craig88 New Egg

May 29, 2011
    Just wondering if eggs should be kept on counter or refrigerated , what is typical shelf life both ways ? Used to have chickens as a child but never enough to have abundance of eggs . Now have 30 chicks don't know how many are hens yet but could be up to eyeballs with eggs before long . Thanks for any info .
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi, and [​IMG]

I keep my eggs on the counter. You'd want to not wash the bloom off to keep them this way. I've seen varying posts about time.... I think I've had some on there for up to two weeks. I usually give away any that I think I won't be able to use.
  3. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I agree with Yay Chicks!

We keep ours on the counter. We eat and sell them so fast they never have time to go rotton!

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I keep mine in the 'fridge. Its really dry here and I think they age much faster (air cell gets really big) if left on the counter. I put 'um in the chill box unwashed unless there is mud or gunk on them in which case I wash them and dry them before going in. I will leave them on the counter if I know they will be used within a couple of days.
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I believe the shelf life is a few weeks on the ounter, a few months in the fridge. If washed a little less. I always wash in hot water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by