Eggs :)

TheZMom

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 13, 2012
Hi all :) sorry for all the questions. You guys are awesome with your chicken knowledge :)

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there ever a reason you would not eat a chickens egg (parasites, worming, fleas/mites, something wrong with that egg, etc)

and

2. How do I encourage more egg production? It seem to me that I have 11 hens (2 roosters, and my 2 original hens don't lay) that should be producing eggs. I got 2 eggs yesterday and so far 1 today. The guy I bought the chickens from said more than half of them were currently laying with a light on. I have a light in the run (should it be in the coop?) and is there anything else I can do to increase the egg production or are they just getting used to new surroundings (and should I be worried if they don't lay).

I personally would not eat an egg that was badly cracked (leaking through the membrane) or VERY dirty egg, or one that has been left in a hidden nest for an undetermined length of time. Then there's the withdrawal period for some medications if your birds have been wormed. The light should be inside the coop. How old are these new birds? Stress will delay their laying. Do they look like they should be laying? Bright combs that are nice and full?

Im not sure of their age, but yes they should be laying I think. :) Im about to go check again if there are any eggs. I could hear a couple of the girls squawking earlier :)

Well,I wouldnt suggest on eating a eggs if,you have put medicine in the water,if you know its not human friendly,dont eat the eggs.

Egg production.
Chickens like a lit of hay,and a dark or shadey coop/nest.This might envourage them.
What breeds are they,and how old are they?

_ThePRfan

Back
Top Bottom