eggs

melissa792

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 19, 2015
so this is kind of a stupid question really but I'm not correctly finding the answer on line that I'm unsure of...if i have a rooster but I'm not seeking out fertilized eggs..what is the best way to go about getting eggs before they are fertilized..or do you just have to check the every time?..I plan on collecting eggs everyday..so is this good enough to be sure my eggs are not fertilized...we just want to keep our rooster at this point i was just not expecting a rooster number one and two we are just seeking their eggs at this time no babies..lol
jumpy.gif

thanks that is what i thought also but then read that you can collect ..was just trying to get some oppions..thanks:}...all is appreciated!!

I don't have a rooster but I'm pretty sure there is no problem with eating fertilized eggs. You might just see a blood spot in them. I even think I have seen them in the stores. But again I am no expert and have never had a rooster to deal with. I think they are beautiful butI live in a city neighborhood and am already over my limit for hens. Good luck :)

so this is kind of a stupid question really but I'm not correctly finding the answer on line that I'm unsure of...if i have a rooster but I'm not seeking out fertilized eggs..what is the best way to go about getting eggs before they are fertilized..or do you just have to check the every time?..I plan on collecting eggs everyday..so is this good enough to be sure my eggs are not fertilized...we just want to keep our rooster at this point i was just not expecting a rooster number one and two we are just seeking their eggs at this time no babies..lol
jumpy.gif

Eggs are fertilized before they are laid - the fertilization has to take place before the hard, protective shell is in place. The good news is that there is no difference in eating a fertilized or unfertilized egg as long as incubation has not started. Your plan to collect eggs on a daily basis is exactly the process that will assure the eggs that are fertile are never incubated.

I don't have a rooster but I'm pretty sure there is no problem with eating fertilized eggs. You might just see a blood spot in them. I even think I have seen them in the stores. But again I am no expert and have never had a rooster to deal with. I think they are beautiful butI live in a city neighborhood and am already over my limit for hens. Good luck :)

Sidenote - blood spots, etc are not related to being fertile or unfertilized. The only physical/visual difference between a fertile or unfertilized egg is that the germinal disc (little white spot on the surface of the yolk) will have a tell-tale "bullseye" marking if it has been fertilized.
As you can see from the picture shown, that difference would have no effect on the edibility of the egg itself.

Back
Top Bottom