Eggscape Artist

KristyB

Chirping
Jul 3, 2018
644EAC7B-03D4-4507-951E-8D7CBDD0E4EE.jpeg
My 8 little EE’s are getting used to their coop. They are almost 6 weeks old and have spent two nights in their new home. During the day, they chirp happily as they explore their new world around them.

Today, I left home for a few hours. I came back to one of my chicks out of the of the pen. Everyone was frantic! The other 7 lined the fence calling to their lost friend. I helped little Goldi find her way back into her pen. The chicks did not want to settle. One jumped right into my arms. Once one jumped the others followed. I had 5 chicks jumping on me looking for comfort. It was just starting to get dark. My husband had to pick them off of me one by one and put them in the coop where they finally settled.

This is my first time having chicks. I had no idea how affectionate chicks could be to people and to each other.

View attachment 1483842 My 8 little EE’s are getting used to their coop. They are almost 6 weeks old and have spent two nights in their new home. During the day, they chirp happily as they explore their new world around them.

Today, I left home for a few hours. I came back to one of my chicks out of the of the pen. Everyone was frantic! The other 7 lined the fence calling to their lost friend. I helped little Goldi find her way back into her pen. The chicks did not want to settle. One jumped right into my arms. Once one jumped the others followed. I had 5 chicks jumping on me looking for comfort. It was just starting to get dark. My husband had to pick them off of me one by one and put them in the coop where they finally settled.

This is my first time having chicks. I had no idea how affectionate chicks could be to people and to each other.
I discovered the same thing in June 2015 when I brought home 9 day old chicks. I never knew that they would be affectionate, and funny, and so fascinating that I would not be the only one who fell in love with them. they would win over my husband and father as well! You have many adventures to look forward to! Keep us posted on your little ones!:frow

Me, too. We found a hole at the top of the fence. My husband fixed it. We always have to be mindful of predators but we have an extra layer of protection. My entire yard is walled in minus the gate. My whole neighborhood is like this. My biggest concern is hawks.

Me, too. We found a hole at the top of the fence. My husband fixed it. We always have to be mindful of predators but we have an extra layer of protection. My entire yard is walled in minus the gate. My whole neighborhood is like this. My biggest concern is hawks.
I put aviary netting above the "external" run. It as worked very well for me. WE have hawks, raccoons, and foxes. The chickens are locked into the large (30x30) predator proof run by 7:30, and that has an automatic chicken door into the coop. They don't get to go "out" unless I choose to let them roam.
Here is what I caught on the camera that is in the run. :yesss:

I put aviary netting above the "external" run. It as worked very well for me. WE have hawks, raccoons, and foxes. The chickens are locked into the large (30x30) predator proof run by 7:30, and that has an automatic chicken door into the coop. They don't get to go "out" unless I choose to let them roam.
Here is what I caught on the camera that is in the run. :yesss:
Oh wow! I’m glad you have such a good setup! We have netting all around as well. There are a couple of spots that we need to shore up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom