eggspiriment, opinions on who is laying my eggs?

Eddie the Yeti

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Colorado Springs, CO
Ok. I have 8 hens and a rooster in my flock. Roo is silver laced wyandotte and so are 4 of the hens, then there are 3 barred rocks and 1 buff orpington. they are all old enough to be laying, but, up until a couple weeks ago I was getting only 1 egg a day and always the same size and color so I figured it was just 1 bird laying, probably one of the rocks. I decided to put lights in the coop and started turning them on 2 hours before the sun came up. I have done that for about 2 weeks now. I started getting 2 eggs a day after 3 days. then 3 eggs after the first week and today I got 5. they are different sizes and colors and all were in the laying box which I cleaned out yesterday so all are new. Looks like the eggspiriment was a success! Now I am wondering who is laying what. The only breed I have had previously is the orpington and the egg at the bottom of the pic looks like I remember my other orps laying, but smaller. I am guessing that the 2 at the top are Barred rock eggs. the 2 lighter ones are SLW and the last on is orpington. But that is just a guess. Anyone with more knowledge than me want to venture an opinion?
eggs.jpg

If you had started exams at the same time you started the light, you may know who is laying what.
Now you'll probably have to stalk the nests and catch them in the act.

If you had started exams at the same time you started the light, you may know who is laying what.
Now you'll probably have to stalk the nests and catch them in the act.
good point. but I do not spend as much time down there as I would like to, the chickens are basically an after work hobby. they are still roosted before I go to work (that is when I turn on the lights) and they roost up again about an hour or hour and a half after I get home. Exams and even stalking the nest boxes take more time than I have. I do spend more time on the weekend, when I can but the holiday season was a bit hectic this year (two new grand babies, kids out of work due to COVID general whining and excuses) So they get fed and watered and the poop cleaned up (not as often as I should) I take the eggs and give them treats every once in a while, and that is what I have time for. When I retire in a few years I hope to have more time to get more hands on., but, for now, they seem content and healthy and I like the time I do get to spend.

Back
Top Bottom