Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
Thanks guys, I did learn a lot and think i could be successful if i try again.

I have one White Leghorn, two Light Sussex and 1 Bluebell being delivered on Wednesday, They having been recovering from a trip from England, so staying at a nearly farm before coming to me, I will still get to introduce some chicks to the beautiful Isle of Skye.
wee.gif

Thanks guys, I did learn a lot and think i could be successful if i try again.

I have one White Leghorn, two Light Sussex and 1 Bluebell being delivered on Wednesday, They having been recovering from a trip from England, so staying at a nearly farm before coming to me, I will still get to introduce some chicks to the beautiful Isle of Skye.
wee.gif
highfive.gif

Looks like a day 6-7 quitter. I think I see feather germs which start to develop at that time point. Days 6-7 is often where you will get a good number of deaths due to developmental defects. I can't really tell from the pic, but that beak does not look right. Crainio-facial defects are rather common. Some do make it to day 20-21 and it's often not so pretty. Don't worry about it. To correctly stage it you've got to remove the embryo and look at the development of digits and so on.
this was a day 12 egg that started smelling. any ideas as to what might have happened? This is my second attempt at hatching so I have no clue.

Hard to tell anything other than they were pretty close to hatching stage. Did they internally pip? Can't tell if the yolk sac was adsorbed or not? They start to adsorb them at day 19ish, and will be almost all inside by day 20. Their development looks consistent with being alive till day 18, although the bottom one looks like it stopped developing a few days earlier.

There wasn't an internal pip, the black one had almost the entire yolk sac absorbed but the other didn't have any of it. It was my first time incubating and these two were the only ones out of 8 to make it past day 12 or so. :( I'm going to try again soon, hopefully I have better luck next time.

Back
Top Bottom