Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
Just did eggtopsy tonight, very sad. Had 5 ameraucana eggs in and not a one made it. One had a pool of fluid still guessing death about day 15, one was fully grown and yolk absorbed but upside down in the egg, 3 did not internal pip or absorb the yolk but looked fully grown. Does this mean death about day 18? These are eggs from my own chickens, no older than one week when set.

I also had about 15 EE eggs in there (same rooster different hen) and got about 8 chick that hatched (so far- there's a few still in there). This particular Ameraucana hen I have been having 1/6 and 0/5 for the last two hatches, but now she is not laying due to molting. During the same hatches I had shipped eggs hatch decently (4/7, 3/5). During eggtopsies most of the eggs are fully grown, about half have their yolk absorbed, and rarely do they internal pip. So frustrating. Anyway since the EE eggs are hatching OK (not great, this time around I know that the incubator was too low temp for a while due to a cold spell and a malfunctioning thermometer), I know our rooster is not the problem and I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with the hen. If she free ranges and has free access to 18% layer feed and crushed eggshells I don't know what else I can do for her, nutrition-wise? Maybe after she finishes her molt whatever deficiencies she may have had will resolve themselves? Before the heat of summer hit her eggs were hatching better, can't remember exactly but more like 50-70% hatches. Still figuring out the details of hatching but I learn something new every time...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rinda
I must have missed your post Rinda! I hope someone can help... I would post in a different area and see if you get help

Sally Sunshine,
So sorry about your chick, I have finally learned that unless I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that an egg is clear or rotten I leave it in. I have had SEVERAL surprise me and hatch when I thought they were goners. As for it being white, I am not familiar with that particular cross BUT several breeds often carry a white recessive gene, and perhaps the cross doubled up the recessive gene in this particular chick. Just a guess.

As for my hen, I am just trying to stabalize other variables first, Switched to a Sportsman 1502 (YAY!) that has made a BIG difference with the EE hatches (only lost 1 egg with the set that went in midway through incubation). Second set due to hatch Friday. The Ameraucana hen is still not laying yet but still finishing up with her molt, I'm going to wait to see how her first few eggs hatch/don't hatch before I worry too much more about her.

Rinda

That happens to me few times ! Candling doesnt do justice! I have decided to leave them alone untill 25th day to be safe to throw away. some of my eggs looks like they were dead on the 14th day. But I did marked them "Just in case" and before I know it I have a baby chickie. Its heartbreaking not knowing if you really got one !

Thanks, I felt sooooo bad and even had the thought oh I can save her, duhhhh moment of panic.

Lesson learned thats for sure!!!

I had one pip the wrong end of the shell and I new she was a gonner so I unzipped the top and opened the membranes and pulled her head out via her neck, AND SHE TOOK deep breaths and left her lay in the bator and rest, then I would wet her around the egg every 4 hrs and she absorbed the yolk in her own time and in NO TIME was/is ALIVE and running around!! I cant believe it!! And people say dont help! lol

This thread Is so informative.
This time i had 3 unhatched chicks that were developed well formed.ALL 3 had yolks the size of marbles not absorbed goo at the small end of the shell.One was huge duckling size but the others normal, all heads under wings,Mine seldom are that far along then die wanted to know moreThanks

Thanks, I felt sooooo bad and even had the thought oh I can save her, duhhhh moment of panic.

Lesson learned thats for sure!!!

I had one pip the wrong end of the shell and I new she was a gonner so I unzipped the top and opened the membranes and pulled her head out via her neck, AND SHE TOOK deep breaths and left her lay in the bator and rest, then I would wet her around the egg every 4 hrs and she absorbed the yolk in her own time and in NO TIME was/is ALIVE and running around!! I cant believe it!! And people say dont help! lol
Sally if she pipped to the outside then she was getting air. Was she through the shell or a star crack?
I had one hatch from the wrong end Some do make it if they can get that beak through fast enough.

My eggs have chicks inside but aren't moving when i did the eggtopsy.. Are they for sure dead? There is full blood vessels throught the membrane and i can see yolk around the side. but they are still.

My eggs have chicks inside but aren't moving when i did the eggtopsy.. Are they for sure dead? There is full blood vessels throught the membrane and i can see yolk around the side. but they are still.
have you pushed on them to see if they move? I would say if they dont move they are gone...... did you do the float test before you opened them or were they already pipped, sorry I forget

Actually I had an egg like that last time I incubated and it was still alive and attempted to hatch and move a couple day later, but it didn't make it cause I helped it too soon... I'd say leave them eggies in there for a lil while longer and hope? What day are they on?

Back
Top Bottom