Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
The parents aren't related, in so far as the rooster breeder is 7 hours drive from that of the hens. The 12 surviving chicks are 3 days old and going really well. Day 1 I vaccinated against Mareks. Never vaccinated anything so small, but used to microchip dogs in a pound, and vaccinate my own sheep. I was so nervous I felt like I was in a job interview! Not a problem at all. I was so pleased I could manage it as I want to do the best I can for them. I will check out the files before I set my next hatch. Thanks again.

ok this is my first incubator hatch and so far we are late. but had funky smell in the incubator so went looking for the cause. This is also my first eggtopsy.

Background eggs hadn't been candled since day 14, there were a couple of questionable ones then. Due to having to go into lock down on day 17 unecpectedly forgot to do day 18 candle. This egg is from a leg horn. the eggs are from our own flock. Would like to figure out what happened to it. It was removed and eggtospied to to bad smell. Not best photographer and this is through plastic baggie

This barred rock was term, pipped middle of egg though on day 22, when I removed shell there were no veins,did not bleed or have any other liquid membrane was clear and white. incubation was auto turned, little giant deluxe temp 99.5 varying no more than +/- 1,humidity was 45-60% until lock down when increased to 70-75 but got a couple of spikes without adding any to 80-85%, have not discarded yet in case need more pictures. Flock is healthy.autopsied day 24 when movement and chirping was not detectable had been making sure pip area was not drying out

with membranes still intact,

apparently could not finish absorbing the yolk

Last edited:
This barred rock was term, pipped middle of egg though on day 22, when I removed shell there were no veins,did not bleed or have any other liquid membrane was clear and white. incubation was auto turned, little giant deluxe temp 99.5 varying no more than +/- 1,humidity was 45-60% until lock down when increased to 70-75 but got a couple of spikes without adding any to 80-85%, have not discarded yet in case need more pictures. Flock is healthy.autopsied day 24 when movement and chirping was not detectable had been making sure pip area was not drying out

with membranes still intact,

apparently could not finish absorbing the yolk
It appears the chicks died for some reason the bottom 2 pics look like it died a couple days early. Does your Incubator have the built in meter for temp and Humidity?? Did you go by that meter if so??

Last edited:

Went by digital built in and an aquarium thermometer inside, this is the one that let out the peep I was talking about yesterday, all 3 pics are of same chick different views. they were in the turner until day 17 when had to lock it down then removed and placed on the bottom as per the incubator instructions.These were as I removed the membranes, got one final pic waiting to get here out of both membranes.Disposed of now

it pipped bottom side in the middle of the egg head was actually towards the small end that had been in the down position when they were in the turner

Last edited:

I got busy and missed my half way candle on a batch of olive eggers. I took these out day 21 after all the others had popped/hatched. I guess they died abot halfway in.

I have a new incubator and i put fertile eggs in. 2 out of 4 are developing. Today is day 5. I noticed this dot coming out from the shell, which was not there before. What is it?

Back
Top Bottom