Eglu Cube & Cold Weather, vaseline on combs

pathwandering

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Hi all,
I'm wondering if there are any Eglu Cube owners who have winters where night lows dip to -20. I have three standards and two bantams living quite harmoniously in an Eglu Cube attached to an 80sq ft covered run, and I'm wondering if I need to do more to protect them, and at what point I need to take action. So far they have been fine with lows around 10, but it will be -10 this week. Some options I have considered are making microwavable rice sacks and putting some in the coop on the coldest nights. Taking straw and spreading it over the roosting bars. That option is probably easier but I wonder if it will affect the moisture in the coop or encourage lice or mites.
I've also thought about just letting them all huddle together in the egg box. Many nights I've gone there and kicked them out of the egg box where they all like to sleep together - and they really keep themselves pretty toasty in there. I don't want to do it too much not only because cleaning the egg box every morning is a pain, but also because I'm worried that they stay so warm that they won't keep the amount of feathers they need to.

I'm also wondering at what temperature point people put vaseline on combs and wattles. I have a Speckled Sussex with a beautiful comb that I worry about. She doesn't seem fazed by cold or snow and is really eager to get out and wander about outside the run regardless of the weather.

If there's a day where the highs are below 5 degrees, I'm wondering if I should open the door at all - but I worry that they might not have quite enough ventilation if they spend 24/7 in there for a couple of days. On the other hand, perhaps the cube is so well designed that the ventilation is adequate? They're all pretty docile birds and get along really well, so they probably could tolerate it on a short term basis. I just worry about putting water in there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom