Eglu Cube Price Increase - $200 in one day...

chicks4erin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Chicago Suburb
So I've been hemming and hawing about ordering my Cube, looked at it yesterday but didn't pull the trigger, the price yesteday without run was $995, today that same darn thing is $1200, what the heck? $200 in one day
barnie.gif
, I think I just talked myself out of the Cube, what an absolute bummer. Back to the drawing board, son of a gun. My plan was to build an enclosed covered run and put the Cube inside - darn darn darn.

I've never seen one except for in photos on the Web, but I don't think there's any way they can be worth what they are asking. Even before the price increase! I must say, I don't even really like the way they look. And I'm not much of a penny pincher. Does anyone in your area make coops? We found a guy about 60 miles away and he was willing to deliver our coop. And he because he raises backyard chickens he knows what he is doing.

You know, in the long rung it saved you a lot of heartache. The Eglu is an overpriced, undersized ugly piece of crap that really isn't appropriate for chickens. And being in the Chicago area, you get some rough winters, it isn't a good buy at all.

The drawing board will be much more economical, you can build something with a lot more SPACE that looks great for a lot less than the Eglu. Believe me, it is worth it to not buy the Eglu. And if you are worried about how to build stuff, it is actually pretty easy.

You're better off building your run and let that square footage and the # of birds you want dictate the size coop you need. Then take you time and layout a coop that fits your personality and your needs, and build it. You will be happier with this than having to adapt yourself to someone else's idea of what your coop should be. Plus you have the pride of building it.

Quote:
+100000

Those things are hideous and expensive!
Even with meager building skills YOU CAN DO IT! There are many folks on this forum, including myself who are great resources to walk you through this rewarding experience.
frow.gif

Thank you for the responses. I did buy the plans to the Garden Coop- http://www.thegardencoop.com/, as I was planning on using the plans for my enclosed run. The actual hen house had me a bit overwhelmed with my building skill level, but you guys are right, I'll be saving myself a fortune.

Well worth what the Eglu was with that money you WOULD have spent you can either hire or do it yourself to where you can get a HUGE coop for that money instead of some little jit thing

It's a perfectly good coop, people. It's easy to clean, it doesn't stink, it doesn't get mites, it doesn't get weather damage, it's well ventilated, it's well insulated, etc.

For some reason everyone on this site jumps on the bandwagon to bash these coops, when they have never even seen one in person. Why? It's fun to hate things you are not familiar with? If you haven't seen it, it MUST be bad?

I just don't get it.

If you're in the city and can't expand your flocks it works great (remember city chickens must look acceptable to neighbors, which is why it looks like a little tykes playhouse). But it's really designed for a garden flock of 3-5ish hens in a warmer climate.

I think it's cute and looks like it would be easy to clean. Doesn't look to be bad if you only had a few chickens. The price for the size of it does make me go
th.gif
BUT I guess price is relative to the buyer. $1200 probably has a very different meaning to me than it does to Bill Gates
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom