Eglu Cube Pros and Cons?

Just wondering about your Eglu Cube setup, and how many chickens you have in it. Your post had a lot of information and it was very helpful to me. I'm new to chicken keeping, and this is the coop I decided to get. We got the 9 foot run and will be building a larger, covered run for the hens before the winter kicks in. We're in Lake Erie's snowbelt in Ohio, so there will be a lot of snow to deal with.

We've ordered 4 chicks--a Dominique, a Buckeye, a White Rock, and a Wyandotte. I just started reading Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and they suggest getting an extra chick in case of health problems or chick death. I'm worried, though, that the Eglu Cube won't be big enough if all 5 chicks were to survive.

How many chickens did you end up housing in your Cube? Do you feel it's enough room for your flock, especially with the attached run?

Thanks again for all the wonderful information in this thread! You've been a big help!

Hello, you will love the cube for cleaning and the fact that it is moveable. I do not see you mention about moving the Cube around your yard. If you intend on this coop being stationary 5 hens will be too much unless you build a large outside pen. If you plan on this being stationary I would not purchase an Eglu run at all just buy the cube and attach it to a home built pen.
If your plans are to have the cube movable spring, summer and fall AND you build an additional movable pen and free range your birds for a few hours a day as I have you will be fine with 4-5 birds. They have to have SPACE.
During winter months the setup will be stationary then I highly suggest covering it in with poly to allow light in and keep the weather out. Always remember the coop and pen will require GOOD ventilation. Fresh dry air is the key. Chickens will be able to keep the Cube heated and the ventilation will allow the moisture to escape. I would not heat the cube because if you loose power the chickens will suffer as they will not be acclimated to the cold. You will need to heat the water.
Your chickens will become frost bitten and/or have respiratory if you don't have proper ventilation. I also suggest purchasing the winter cover for the cube, it is insulated and breathable. It has zippers to allow access to the compartments. You also need to think about CLEANING the run/pen out in the winter.
This seems like allot but once you get into a routine it's easy. CLEAN quarters, water, food space equals healthy birds.
I housed 5 birds but the space and free ranging was the key. I've ordered 5 new birds this year. My others have found a new flock.

Hello, you will love the cube for cleaning and the fact that it is moveable. I do not see you mention about moving the Cube around your yard. If you intend on this coop being stationary 5 hens will be too much unless you build a large outside pen. If you plan on this being stationary I would not purchase an Eglu run at all just buy the cube and attach it to a home built pen.
If your plans are to have the cube movable spring, summer and fall AND you build an additional movable pen and free range your birds for a few hours a day as I have you will be fine with 4-5 birds. They have to have SPACE.
During winter months the setup will be stationary then I highly suggest covering it in with poly to allow light in and keep the weather out. Always remember the coop and pen will require GOOD ventilation. Fresh dry air is the key. Chickens will be able to keep the Cube heated and the ventilation will allow the moisture to escape. I would not heat the cube because if you loose power the chickens will suffer as they will not be acclimated to the cold. You will need to heat the water.
Your chickens will become frost bitten and/or have respiratory if you don't have proper ventilation. I also suggest purchasing the winter cover for the cube, it is insulated and breathable. It has zippers to allow access to the compartments. You also need to think about CLEANING the run/pen out in the winter.
This seems like allot but once you get into a routine it's easy. CLEAN quarters, water, food space equals healthy birds.
I housed 5 birds but the space and free ranging was the key. I've ordered 5 new birds this year. My others have found a new flock.

Thank you, that's all very helpful information and advice! I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

We're planning on keeping them in that smaller Eglu run throughout the summer (getting them June 1, so they'll still be pretty small). We'll move them to different places in the yard and see where it seems to work the best. Then we'll build a stationary run where they seem most comfortable--we have a few possible locations in mind. We'll be looking at something at least 10'x12' with a good part of that area under a sturdy roof, so there should be plenty of room.

I figure we can always use the 9' Eglu run as a chicken tractor even if we build a stationary coop. Take them out periodically for a change of scenery, you know? Or maybe we'll just make a large (roofed) moveable run instead of a stationary one if we end up wanting to keep moving them around. We want to do a little free ranging, too, but we're close by the woods with plenty of hawks and predators, so we'll have to be careful.

I know that I shouldn't heat the coop. That's why I got breeds that were all listed as cold-hardy. The Buckeye, in particular, were apparently bred to do well in winters in my specific area. I plan to get that thermal blanket/cover they make for the Eglu, a coop light, and a heated waterer. Our backyard is pretty well sheltered, with trees, woods, and a garage for windbreaks. Hopefully that and a good roof over the run will keep everyone happy and comfortable.

Thanks again for your time and advice. I really appreciate it. Good luck with your new flock!

Back
Top Bottom