Omlet Eglu Cube with 5 standard size hens

piyo

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
Any Eglu owners here? I recently purchased the Eglu Cube + 9ft run for my 5 standard-sized hens. I have heard ao many wonderful things about them, and the coops suit my needs perfectly since it is mobile.

Has anyone here have any issues with 5 hens in a cube?

I also live in a warm/humid climate and wondering if anyone else who is a Cube owner living in a similar kind of area have any issues with the coop with 5 hens?

Also, I would please ask that this discussion does not get into a heated debate about “Eglus vs. wooden coops” so it doesn’t risk getting locked. I realize there is a part of the chicken farming community who absolutely despises Eglus and that is their prerogative….

I lived in Los Angeles with 4 standard sized hens in an Omlet Eglu Cube (and 9'×24' walk in run. With the mild climate they only used the coop for sleeping. Don't expect there to be enough room to ever stay in there to hang out or get out of inclement weather...definitely not enough room for that!

5 would be a little tight but you're good. Just don't get more chickens!

Attachments

• 20211024_165036.jpg
    20211024_165036.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220508_075447.jpg
    20220508_075447.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 147
What are the dimensions of the cube and whereabouts in the world do you reside? :)
@littlecoopnextdoor According to the website, the dimensions of the cube (excluding the run) is 26in x 39in x 37in.

I reside in the southeastern US.

I lived in Los Angeles with 4 standard sized hens in an Omlet Eglu Cube (and 9'×24' walk in run. With the mild climate they only used the coop for sleeping. Don't expect there to be enough room to ever stay in there to hang out or get out of inclement weather...definitely not enough room for that!

5 would be a little tight but you're good. Just don't get more chickens!
@My Three Chicks Thank you for this info and the visuals! Do they tend to go under the cube on those off chances it rains in your area?

Any Eglu owners here? I recently purchased the Eglu Cube + 9ft run for my 5 standard-sized hens. I have heard ao many wonderful things about them, and the coops suit my needs perfectly since it is mobile.

Has anyone here have any issues with 5 hens in a cube?

I also live in a warm/humid climate and wondering if anyone else who is a Cube owner living in a similar kind of area have any issues with the coop with 5 hens?

Also, I would please ask that this discussion does not get into a heated debate about “Eglus vs. wooden coops” so it doesn’t risk getting locked. I realize there is a part of the chicken farming community who absolutely despises Eglus and that is their prerogative….
I have two Cubes and two Gos. While I think bantams fit in them much better, I had 5 hens in the Cube with no problems. I do find they get a bit hotter in summer just because ventilation is a bit lower than preferred and they don’t have a ton of space which ups the body heat. I wouldn’t put 5 super big hens in it but average size do fine. I had a Marans, an Ameraucana, an EE, a salmon Faverolle and a Russian Orloff together and they were quite cozy.

I think with a 9ft run and good shade in the summer they make great coops. I set up misters and a big shade cloth—and didn’t have to worry about the coop getting wet which was really nice.

@My Three Chicks Thank you for this info and the visuals! Do they tend to go under the cube on those off chances it rains in your area?
Yes exactly! Last year we happened to get torrential rains for 3 days straight. The run area got partially flooded. I added some wooden pieces for them to stand on where is was very puddley. You can see the 3 girls underneath the coop. Its definitelya great shelter...they enjoy the area underneath a lot. My Speckled Sussex is a wild child so she's walking around in the rain somewhere!

Oh I should mention you should add a tarp for rain or sun if it's not shaded/sheltered at all.

Any other questions just let me know!

Attachments

• 20211230_124324.jpg
    20211230_124324.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 155
  • 20211230_123740.jpg
    20211230_123740.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 150
@littlecoopnextdoor According to the website, the dimensions of the cube (excluding the run) is 26in x 39in x 37in.

I reside in the southeastern US.

Yes, but the little tarps that fit on the bottom sections under the coop and as long as the ground doesn’t get super saturated, they will go under the coop to hide from inclement weather. Also, do NOT expect the run to be predator proof. I watched rats go in thru the mesh and dig under the apron and eat all their food. Also it’s wide enough other predators can reach in and do damage. I hardware clothed the bottom 16in and I bought the extra run door to put under the coop so you don’t have to climb under it if needed. I had a very sick bird that was huddled in the back corner and would have been a PIA to get out without the door!

Yes exactly! Last year we happened to get torrential rains for 3 days straight. The run area got partially flooded. I added some wooden pieces for them to stand on where is was very puddley. You can see the 3 girls underneath the coop. Its definitelya great shelter...they enjoy the area underneath a lot. My Speckled Sussex is a wild child so she's walking around in the rain somewhere!

Oh I should mention you should add a tarp for rain or sun if it's not shaded/sheltered at all.

Any other questions just let me know!
@My Three Chicks Oh wow! What an awesome idea to add wooden pallets to the muddy area. I will definitely keep that in mind.

I have a lot of trees in my backyard, so I have plenty of shady spots that are away from direct sun. Only problem is that it's so shady that grass fails to grow there, so I'm not sure how happy my chickens will be to not have much grass to scratch up. I have some spots in my yard that get a lot of sun with grass that I suppose I could move the coop there sometime.

I also like the wooden step thing you have for their feeder. That is so cool. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to handle the feeder situation. I want to set it up so I don't have to worry about attracting rodents from spilled feed/open feeders.

Yes, but the little tarps that fit on the bottom sections under the coop and as long as the ground doesn’t get super saturated, they will go under the coop to hide from inclement weather. Also, do NOT expect the run to be predator proof. I watched rats go in thru the mesh and dig under the apron and eat all their food. Also it’s wide enough other predators can reach in and do damage. I hardware clothed the bottom 16in and I bought the extra run door to put under the coop so you don’t have to climb under it if needed. I had a very sick bird that was huddled in the back corner and would have been a PIA to get out without the door!

@kurby22 Thanks for this info! I plan to put hardware cloth all around the run, so hopefully it will deter most of the predators. Did you just put Hardware Cloth around the bottom half of the run, or did you do the top as well?

The run door is big enough for me to squeeze through, and I can actually sit down in there (which I plan to do so I can be with my chickens). I have too many hawks and crows in my area for me to let my chickens free range in my yard.

Unfortunately, my Eglu Cube did not come with a tarp like they used to. I called up the Omlet company and they said they no longer include them with the coops, so I went and bought some of the sun tarps, as well as the ones that wrap around the bottom part of the coop and run to help deter rain.

I never had problems with rodents coming in to eat their food. Read this post I just responded to on how I provide the food.

Post in thread 'How to keep hens from spilling/wasting food?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...m-spilling-wasting-food.1563868/post-26538609

I have nearly zero food waste or anything left on the ground. Then I bring in anything left over at the end of the day.
@My Three Chicks Thanks for this suggestion! My only worry is that whether or not they are large enough to hold enough food for 5 hungry hens, or would I have to keep going out to refill them? They just look very small...

Also, do you know the weight limit of the Eglu runs? When you hang stuff from it, does the run wire/poles buckle down because of the excess weight?

I have the Rent-a-Coop water and feeder, and was just wondering if the Eglu run wiring would be able to handle the weight of these when they are filled with feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom