Omlet Eglu Cube with 5 standard size hens

That looks great!! What did you use to cut the hole out?
DH has a powered hand-held jig saw. Never used that type before, the head swivels so you have to hold the body of the tool with one hand and the top with the other to keep it going straight. And I had to clamp the tray in two places to hold it down.

It could be done with a sheet rock hand saw. Maybe with a bread knife (serrated edges) if it came down to it. Cutting plastic, the thing to me is you have to go slow, not try to make lots of progress, or the blade will veer off the line you want. With the powered jig saw the first ten inches was not very good as I got used to steering it. And the plastic bits piled up and obscured the line! Be careful to contain & clean up the waste and don’t do this where the chickens will be while you’re doing it! They might be tempted to eat the bits.

After carefully measuring the sloped part of the tray on the upper side I turned it over and marked the rectangle on the back, then drilled four holes at each corner, to start the cut and so I wouldn’t have to make a sharp turn with the saw at the other corners. Put the blade into one hole and started it up.

DH has a powered hand-held jig saw. Never used that type before, the head swivels so you have to hold the body of the tool with one hand and the top with the other to keep it going straight. And I had to clamp the tray in two places to hold it down.

It could be done with a sheet rock hand saw. Maybe with a bread knife (serrated edges) if it came down to it. Cutting plastic, the thing to me is you have to go slow, not try to make lots of progress, or the blade will veer off the line you want. With the powered jig saw the first ten inches was not very good as I got used to steering it. And the plastic bits piled up and obscured the line! Be careful to contain & clean up the waste and don’t do this where the chickens will be while you’re doing it! They might be tempted to eat the bits.

After carefully measuring the sloped part of the tray on the upper side I turned it over and marked the rectangle on the back, then drilled four holes at each corner, to start the cut and so I wouldn’t have to make a sharp turn with the saw at the other corners. Put the blade into one hole and started it up.
Ahh okay! Thanks!! Such a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom