Eglu Cube XL - joined 2 together for more space

Joshua2

Hatching
May 27, 2022
I wanted to share some modifications I made to expand my Eglu cube. I'm entirely new to chickens, and I bought an eglu cube, 10 chicks, 1 guard goose. I swear, before I ordered the cube, I thought I'd read that it would hold 10 chickens, but after building it I realized I wouldn't be comfortable keeping more than 5 in there.

I really loved all the design aspects of the Eglu Cube, just needed more space - so I pretty much just joined 2 of them together. This is obviously a really expensive setup, so I'm not necessarily suggesting this for any first time coop buyers. This is for current Cube owners who are wanting more space without ditching the design, features, and usability they love. It's absolutely still mobile, I move it once or twice a week. But obviously it's much more difficult to move around cause of it's extra size / weight.

Just going to share a quick overview in case others are interested in doing something similar. Mostly just wanted to let you know it's possible.

Parts:
1 Eglu Cube - w/wheels + large run
1 Eglu Cube - no wheels, no run
1 3" compression plug
4 U-bolt clamps
2 toggle compression clamps (and all fastening hardware)
2 M6x40 bolts
Automotive weather stripping

Overview of key modifications (sorry, not necessarily in order):

"Cube #1" is the front one with run. "Cube #2" is rear.

1. Cut stair mounting points off cube #2.
2. Add weatherstripping where the 2 cubes will join together.
3. Put a 3" pipe-end compression plug in the hole on top of cube #2's roof.
4. Bolt frame of cube #1 to frame of cube #2 using M6x40's (2 places) and existing wing nuts (no new holes required, the holes in the frames line up!)
5. Move wheels to cube #2.
6. Add compression clamps (1 per side) to sides, just below roof (to maintain compression on weather seal)
7. Bolt steel frame legs of cube #1/cube #2 together using u-bolt clamps (2 per side)
8. Remove rear door from cube #1.

9. Cut hole in front door of cube #2 to allow easy pass through (remove swinging manual door)

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_112200253~2.jpg
    PXL_20220528_112200253~2.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 277
  • PXL_20220509_231918508.jpg
    PXL_20220509_231918508.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
There's plenty of ventilation designed into the cube already. 4 vents on each roof panel, 2 vents on each end panel, and the roosting area is completely open underneath (I have the tray removed on the front cube. I'm not concerned at all, it's very comfortable in there.

I have a Cube.... this is interesting. How do you clean the Cube that is sandwiched in the middle (regular cleaning, not a deep clean, which I assume you'd just take it apart).

Agreed on the ventilation. After a winter of finding blowing snow and rain piled up INSIDE my coop (and the more scientific monitoring the humidity levels with a sensor), I'm confident the ventilation is not an issue with this coop.

I wanted to share some modifications I made to expand my Eglu cube. I'm entirely new to chickens, and I bought an eglu cube, 10 chicks, 1 guard goose. I swear, before I ordered the cube, I thought I'd read that it would hold 10 chickens, but after building it I realized I wouldn't be comfortable keeping more than 5 in there.

I really loved all the design aspects of the Eglu Cube, just needed more space - so I pretty much just joined 2 of them together. This is obviously a really expensive setup, so I'm not necessarily suggesting this for any first time coop buyers. This is for current Cube owners who are wanting more space without ditching the design, features, and usability they love. It's absolutely still mobile, I move it once or twice a week. But obviously it's much more difficult to move around cause of it's extra size / weight.

Just going to share a quick overview in case others are interested in doing something similar. Mostly just wanted to let you know it's possible.

Parts:
1 3" compression plug
4 U-bolt clamps
2 M6x40 bolts

4. Bolt frame of cube #1 to frame of cube #2 using M6x40's (2 places) and existing wing nuts (no new holes required, the holes in the frames line up!)
6. Add compression clamps (1 per side) to sides, just below roof (to maintain compression on weather seal)
7. Bolt steel frame legs of cube #1/cube #2 together using u-bolt clamps (2 per side)

9. Cut hole in front door of cube #2 to allow easy pass through (remove swinging manual door)
Thank you for this info. We ended up with double the chickens we planned for and will need a second eglu. I had considered exactly this, but can’t figure out how I would slide out the tray for cleaning. Can you share more info? Thank you!!

I left the tray out of the front cube, so all their droppings fall straight to the ground. The rear cube still has the catch tray, which I felt was necessary for security because the roosting area of the rear cube is not protected by the run fencing (see photo).

As for cleaning the front cube, it's not possible to clean thoroughly without separating the 2 cubes. For a rough clean, you can get a pressure cleaner wand in through the rear opening and also through the nesting box access door.

Just found your post- that’s genius! I have 2 Eglu cubes housed in a greenhouse (and one go-up). I thought about Frankenstein-ing them together, but didn’t want to risk it. I agree that the ventilation in the coops is not a problem. Thanks for the photos. If you have others, would you mind posting them?

Parts:
1 3" compression plug
4 U-bolt clamps
2 M6x40 bolts

Thank you SO MUCH Joshua2 for these instructions and your inspiration! I built off your idea to create a coop where the front cube is also easy to clean. Here is a video tour of what I did -

Back
Top Bottom