Eglu Go - Question

angusshangus

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Verona, NJ
New to raising chickens...

I live in a densely populated but suburban part of NJ. I don't have a ton of backyard space and the chickens I'm about to receive (2 Silkies) will be just as much pets as a source of eggs. I recently purchased and received an Eglu Go as it seemed like a good coop for the amount of space and number of chickens I am getting. Anyone else have any positive/negative experience with this coop (and run)? The money is sunk so the the fact that they aren't inexpensive is no longer a concern! Anything I can do to make it more of a good home for my chickens?

I have the Eglu GO for my three bantams and love it! Super easy to clean and portable--which were my two biggest needs.

I added a few things to mine:

- A battery powered LED nightlight
- A roost made from a powder-coated closet pole, the covered with a self-adhesive non-slip grip paper
- A small squirrel cage cooling fan
- Aluminum legs to get the coop off the ground
- A cedar ramp

So far, no problems whatsoever. Easy to clean, easy to move, very stealthy (looks like a dog house), and the chickens are quite content with it. I keep a quart size waterer in the coop with the girls at night. Still plenty of room.

I opted not to get the run since my rabbits and chickens share a space.

Overall, I think the Eglu is a good choice for small backyard flocks.

Last edited:
Enjoy your Eglu Go.

If you do a search, you'll find lots of folks who like them.

There is a good thread here that many have posted to.

Also, you did not mention the age of the Silkies you're getting.

They are nearly impossible to sex, and if roosters might be a concern in your area, you might want to consider getting a couple more Silkies later (if one turns out to be a rooster).

Again, ENJOY your new Silkies!!

smile.png

Thx... The place i ordered my silkies from mypetchicken.com claims 90% success with sexing chicks, we'll see. Not sure what I'll do if i end up with roosters!

Oh, if you got 'em from MPC, then they're probably sexed already.
It's expensive, but you pay the extra cost for "peace of mind."

Silkies do not lay as much as, say, an RIR or Leghorn, but they do lay some . . . maybe 3-4 eggs/week.

However, they tend to go broody, so you still may not get much out of them.

But, who cares! They're just too cute!
big_smile.png

I have three Silkies that I have NO CLUE if they're hens or roos.

No crowing or eggs yet.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom