Eglu run bedding options?

The only reason I suggested keeping the tractor a tractor and adding a run is simply the run space you have is too small, especially as a stationary unit (the movement of a tractor allows a bit more fudging as it opens up opportunity to explore and forage). You have 5 large fowl, and 36 sq ft - the minimum recommended on here is generally 10 sq ft per bird (50 sq ft in your case) and I always suggest going for more than minimum if at all possible, as it helps alleviate a lot of behavioral problems plus makes for easier clean up, a healthier environment, etc.

Thank you for elaborating. We certainly want our flock to be in a healthy environment. They are allowed to roam the full yard in the evenings but want them comfortable during the day when we’re away too.
My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
ill take a look into this. Do you have any articles you’d recommend on learning more about how to execute this method for a run? (Even with a larger permanent run this may be our best method to maintain it)

you guys have been so helpful. Thank you for sharing all that you have so far.

Back
Top Bottom