EGSS ON A PLANE ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poulet, Apr 10, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I am flying to England from France in a couple of weeks , I have a friend with lots of rare breed chickens and she will happily give me some eggs to incubate.
    The problem is I don't think I can take them in hand luggage and in the hold it gets below freezing.
    I thought about wrapping them in polystyreen in a cool bag or even putting them in an empty themos flask.
    Has anyone ever done this or got any ideas as to how I could protect them ( the flight is only 1hour 30mins)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The flight isn't long enough to worry about this.

Baggage Handlers are a different matter. Wrap the eggs individually, and well, and make sure they are Hand Inspected. You do not want these eggs going through the X-Ray machine.

Just tell the staff at the Check-In desk, and they will tell you what to do.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It may not be legal to "import" agricultural products... Especially this day and age, when avian flu is a concern. Better check with the US Dept. of Agriculture.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    ha. my friend just took 5 doz eggs from my chickens on a plane because she can't get good eggs where she lives. She had a carryon cooler with food and other stuff in it that she wrapped the 5 doz inside and also put bubble wrap around them.

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    a thermo bottle will not make it though the scanner. try a small lunch box insulated and lots of bubble wrap and fluff

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Between France and England?

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont know if the force of the take off would harm the eggs but I am thinking you could try it. There is no reason to contact US Dept oif Ag.

8. poulet

Mar 17, 2008
    It could be illegal as we can't take any dairy products cheese etc .
    How would an x ray harm them ?

9. poulet

Mar 17, 2008
    Quote:What will the x ray machine do to them ? I think everything has to go through it

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    X-rays kill the embryo.

Remember IF where you live it is found to be illegal to import/export eggs this way and you get caught there is often more than just a fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by