Egyptian Fayoumis info

If you get Fayoumi make sure you have enough of them. Ten birds will be fine as they survive better in groups as they wander far and wide.

agricultural history

This term comes from the ancient Egyptian word Ta-Itjawy, literally, 'peoples of '(Amenemhat) Itjawy. When Amenemhat settled in the Fayoum Depression, the region was known as "the Reed Sea". Once a year, the depression would be flooded with annual inundation from the Nile River. The only way to navigate through this vast region was by
reed skiff. After draining the swamps, Amenemhat exposed the most fertile soils in all of Egypt and relocated his mother's people,
who were ethnic Ta-Seti, to what would become known as Itjawy. They quickly went to the task of transforming the former swamps into arable farmland.
papyrusswamp.jpg

Beginning during the rule of Senwosret II, but particularly during the 12th Dynasty's King Amenemhet I's rule, the area's importance was elevated because of his ingenious scheme to regulate the Nile floods using the Fayoum as a regulator reservoir. At that time there was a natural canal between the Nile and the Fayoum lake which at that time was called Me-Wer (or Greek- Lake Moeris, meaning Great Lake). Today it is called Birket Qarun, which means Qarun Pond. Many believe that it was the biblical Joseph who widened the canal (Joseph's Canal or Bahr Yussuf or Yusif), and built the world's first dam at El Lahun to regulate the flow of water. During Nile floods, water would enter the Fayoum increasing the water level to as much as 18 meters above sea level, about twice it's current size. Later, water would be drained from the depression to irrigate Lower Egypt. However, at that time Fayoum became Egypt's most fertile agricultural area and Amenemhet III loved the region to such an extent that he abandoned his pyramid at Dashur to build his colossi at Biahmu, Narmuthis, a temple dedicated to Sobek, and at Hawara, his new pyramid and the famous and then very popular Labyrinth.

It is believed that ancient Bejawi traders were responsible for introducing the species to Egypt and for further developing the breed into the useful form that it is today. The recent progenitors of our Modern Egyptian Fayoumi were actually The Bejawi farmers of Upper Egypt were the primary traders of this livestock species until the Romans reclaimed the Fayoum Depression in the ruins of Lake Moeris and carried the bird further afield, to every Roman port along the Mediterranean.
http://www.faiyum.com/html/faiyum_dynastic.html
Fayoumscalesize.jpg

pyramid-amenemhet-iii.jpg

Ruins of thePyramid of Amenemhet III 12th Dynasty, c.1991-1786 BCE.
http://www.narmer.pl/pir/amenem3_en.htm
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Lake_Moeris
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a906885000&db=all

Last edited:
Wonderful info. I have been looking for a breed to free range that will stay away from my inlaws porch and be alert from nieghboors dogs. It seems like this breed would fit the bill. Plus I enjoy watching birds be birds without the desire to interact with people. Tame chickens get into trouble. Do you have any info on Ethiopia chickens?

<[email protected]>

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

We are pleased to invite you to the

International Colloquium:

NATURAL AND CULTURAL LANDSCAPES IN FAYUM

The Safeguarding and Management of Archaeological Sites and Natural
Environments

Colleagues, scholars and people who wish to attend the conference are
very welcome.

As regards accommodation, two hotels have been selected and contacted
by the organizers:

Auberge du Lac, the 5-star hotel on the Qarun lake that will host the
conference. Info and reservation: 084 6981200;

Zad el Musafr, a well known eco-lodge at Tunis, with a limited number of
rooms (the approximate cost for a double room with private toilet is 95
EGP). Info and reservation: 084/6820180 - 010/6395590

If you need transportation to the Fayum, please write to
[email protected], or [email protected] by October 15th.
We can arrange a car or a bus for you (transportation fee will be
communicated as soon as we have got the definitive number of travellers).

The Colloquium is organized by the Italian Archaeological Centre under
the patronage of the Italian Embassy, the Supreme Council of Antiquities,
the Fayoum Governorate and the Delegation of the European Commission
in Egypt, and with the sponsorship and collaboration of the Italian Cultural
Institute, the Development Cooperation Office of the Italian Embassy, the
Egyptian Italian Environmental Cooperation Program and the UNESCO
Cairo Office.

The meeting will be held from Sunday, October 31st to Tuesday,
November 2nd at the Hotel “Auberge du lac” by the Qarun Lake.
The opening section will be held in the Conference Hall of the
Fayum Governorate.

The main purpose of the conference is to host a debate on the urgent
question of the rescue and safeguarding of the archaeological sites and
natural environments of the Fayum, but without overlooking the urgent
needs and demand of local people; on the contrary, the goal is to seek
their support to find an integrated way to face the complex problems
of the region, where – as in almost all the areas in Egypt – environmental,
historical and archaeological problems and perspectives are connected
with safeguarding, preservation and sustainable development.

Participants to the Colloquium include: Egyptologists, archaeologists,
experts of protected areas, environment, ecology, site management,
museology, eco-tourism and sustainable development.

The Colloquium is divided into four main sessions:

I) THE FAYUM TODAY - introductive communications on the general
situation of the region

II) THE FAYUM IN THE PAST: archaeology, geo-archaeology and
palaeo-environment

III) THE FAYUM IN THE FUTURE: a) site management, b) museums
and c) eco-tourism

IV) THE FAYUM DECLARATION: discussion and signing of a
common document containing a multiphase safeguarding and
development project.

Each speech will be 20 minutes long; time for discussion will be left at
the end of each session.

For any further information, please contact the Italian Archaeological
Centre at the following addresses: [email protected],
[email protected], [email protected], or call 002 02

Best wishes

Rosanna Pirelli​

I have an Egyptian Fayoumi pipping!! I received 2 eggs in a mixed batch of hatching eggs from Virginia and this is the first one to pip, hope the other egg hatches, then it'll have a buddy!

Cheers all,
Bonnie:)

I raised them for 4 years... If i was to start again i would buy some from McMurry hatchery and some from Cackle hatchery... the McMurry birds will mature early but are small and somewhat weak... the cackle birds are much more vigorous but don't mature near as early (one of the things the bred is known for) and are much larger in size... i would cross the 2 strains and select for roosters that crowed very early and had baring on there breast... hens for early egg laying and maturity...

my birds where 6 years of breeding away from Mcmurry and i loved them... i had several roosters start to crow about 10 days old and had hens that layed there 1st eggs at 4 months and 1 week old... very active without being flighty they love to free range... lay a good amount of small white eggs... i lost mine to a bad storm and then 3 days later before i fixed there cage a coon got the rest of them... i was so mad :(

we required for 1- prices of facility eggs for hatching,
2- transportation by air to republic of South Sudan .
3- another cost needed their in Egypt

Back
Top Bottom