Eight Week Old Muscovy Ducklings Feather Picking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cindyschicks, Oct 31, 2012.

1. cindyschicks

cindyschicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2010
    Grant Park, Illinois
    So, I was told they might be bored, moved them (8 ducklings) and Momma to a much larger coop with enclosed outdoor run. However the babies are still picking at each other's wing feathers.

I saw a suggestion somewhere to hang a head of lettuce, put peas in a bowl of water for them to dive for, etc. However, they don't have adult feathers yet and I am concerned about them getting wet. I am in the suburbs of Chicago and it is getting COLD outside.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    They dont need their adult feathers to be able to swim. They just need their coat of oil on their feathers. I started mine swimming at a few weeks old. Short swims in a shallow dish will help to start them preening (oiling their feathers).

3. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had heard that if the ducklings are raised by a momma duck, that they will have her oil on their feathers and be able to swim because of that. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but I do know that the wild ducklings sure don't wait until they are feathered out to go swimming, so it makes sense.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My last clutch, the mama duck had them swimming in a small tub by under 2wks old. I think i have a pic... they were a touch older in this pic but you get the general idea.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by