Elderly Chicken with possible blockage problem

PattyLou

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
I first noticed Friday evening that Olivia was moving slower than usual when they were out for their daily romp. I was afraid she was egg-bound because she didn't lay on Friday. Saturday I got an egg, but she was moving very slowly and was in a constant half-squat, but still eating. Sunday, she was a little better and did go for a slow walk and scratched around with the other girls and layed another egg, squating a bit less.
Anyone have an idea what-s going on?? Do chickens get poop blockages, or hernias??

How old is she? "Aging" could mean three years or thirteen years.

Has she been laying regularly? Have her shells been of normal quality? Was the egg she just laid normal or shell-less?

It sounds from the symptoms you describe that she may have another egg inside her. This is not uncommon. If you see one shell-less egg and the hen is still behaving as if she still needs to lay, it may be the case of a second egg.

The remedy for egg binding and the shell quality issue that causes it is administering a calcium supplement one tablet per day until the eggs come out normal again. This is the type of calcium I recommend.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Thanks for your reply.
Olivia is about 5 years old. She lays huge eggs every day. Haven't noticed any shell-less eggs or change in shell quality.

Back
Top Bottom