Elderly Hen with all kinds of Problems

RS16017

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
My poor little hen just keeps going. It's Jul and she started going down hill in the winter. I initially suspected a stroke or some sort of neurological problem. To date she can't stand, sleeps most of the time with her head twisted upside down. I give her water by hand but she manages to eat on her own if I place her head near the feed dish. Her comb and eyes are bright with no sign of disease. She poops regularly and it looks normal and not runny. No parasites, I keep her in a tote in the house under A/C. I was hoping she would pass naturally. She seems alert when I handle her, she just doesn't have any motor functions. After holding her head and giving her water for so long I don't have the heart to kill her so we go day to day. None of the other chickens ever displayed any similar symptoms is why I don't think it is disease. I just wonder how long she can last or will this go on indefinitely.

does it seem as if she's suffering or do you have to take care of her like 24 seven? I have a friend and I are to school with and over the summer she had a rooster with the same issues (he needed help 24/7) and she ended up having to euthanize him in beginning of school year due to the fact that she couldn't take care of him and go to school. depending on your situation I might consider that I'm sorry to say

She has torticollis, (wry neck, crook neck,) which is a neurological symptom of many diseases such as Mareks and some respiratory diseases. It can also be from vitamin deficiency, so many treat it with vitamin B1 (thiamine,) vitamins E, and selenium, which is found in eggs, chopped tuna, nuts, meat, and fish. It is so easy to get attached to our pets, but if she seems in pain, I would let her go peacefully.

Back
Top Bottom