1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electric blankets... anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chirpy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok, so I love my electric blanket because I hate to get into a cold bed in the winter time. I am one of those who thinks they 'could' be bad to use them when in bed so I always turn mine off when I get into bed.. but, that's not the purpose of this thread (although I'm always open to hear other's opinions on the health issues of said electric blankets).

Now, on to my actual question:

None of the electric blankets I've ever had has worked well past two years. They usually quit working well by a year and a half into having them. When I get a new one it heats up wonderfully within 15 minutes. Within a year and a half it takes 2 hours to get it to vaguely warm up the bed. Anyone else have this problem or know why it might be happening?

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I did....UNTIL the night I woke from dozing to this popping and cracking sound and saw sparks and smoke coming from the blanket...and I might add it was smoking and sparking right on my chest...YIKES!! Talk about stop drop and ROLL!

3. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    We have had similar problems and this year after buying yet another one, we really sat down and thought about how we use and abuse them and have decided that mostly it may be because we sit on the made up bed a lot to watch tv and hang out. Also the dog jumps around on the bed all the time. I think all the movement and compression of the blanket probably breaks connections and shorts out certain part of the blanket. So we have decided to try not to sit on the bed so much and are watching tv in the living room more. We'll see if it makes any difference. The dog still jumps around on the bed and lays on it to sleep.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]...[​IMG]..SCARY!

5. EllyMae

Got that right...course you can imagine the wisecracks from coworkers when I tried to get sympathy from them! Danged ole Nurse Cratchets, they are.

6. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I use an electric bed warmer and I too turn it off when I get into bed. I find they last a bit longer, I guess they don't get the same twisting or pulling a blanket gets.

If your not familiar with them they are like an electric blanket only a mattress cover instead. So the heat is from below you, it warms the mattress and the blankets up in about half an hour. Then after it's off the heat just radiates from the mattress. I just need to remember to go in and turn it on. Some people leave them on all night but I get way too hot that way, and like you I'm not sure that is safe. If I'm really cold I might leave it on for a few minutes after I get into bed.

I put my pillows under the covers when I turn it on and then when I get into bed I have a warm pillow too!

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Pets and electric blankets are a no-no. Cats are worse than dogs apparently, but I have seen quite a few warnings on this.

8. EllyMae

Quote:Now that sounds like a neat idea...I might have to look those up.

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I love my electric mattress pad. I usually turn it on about 30 minutes before I go to bed and turn it off as I am drifting off to sleep.
    I have been sick this week and while i had the chills I left it on. I am sure it saved my life. [​IMG]

10. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    We use our electric blanket on the mattress like a pad instead of on top of the sheets. DH and I both have back trouble, sleeping on the heat seems to help ( like a giant heating pad). And yes we leave ours on all night. It's an old one and works great. On cold nights the dogs have learned to sleep under the covers instead of under the bed. I [​IMG] my blanket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by