Electric Fence Option for larger Run

campcabo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Ohio
I love my chickens almost like they are family and have prided myself on the fact that they can free roam quite a large area. However they pretty much destroyed the garden and are degrading the earth around the house from their dust bath holes they make. I debated for a while what to do because I want them to have a large area to forage but a contained area. I finally decided to go with Electric poultry netting. It has only been up a couple of days but so far I am very happy. See this link for more info and a supply list that I used.
The other good thing is that it helps with the predators.

Enjoy!!

http://4acresandachick.blogspot.com/2013/04/trial-and-erroror-shall-i-say-shock.html

I have the netting also. It's probably been one of the best things I have done for my birds. After a couple of daylight fox attacks, I bought 300' of the netting from Premier. It has worked out so well, I bought another 300' and expanded their area.
Jack

I use the electric poultry netting also. Many of our cats and dogs got their heads stuck in it over and over until we electrified it. They tell you in the instructions not to use it without a charger, but we had to test that theory. My maine cooncat got tangled in it and pulled it down, then I had to spend 20 minutes trying to untangle a terrified cat. Our yorkiegot stuck 3 times before he learned. We can leave it off now, but we turn it on randomly to make sure the critters stay away from it. It makes a good garden fence since we let 3 of our special chickens roam the yard.

Back
Top Bottom