Electric Fence Question

chseeads

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Bloomington, Indiana
Working on my coop . . . it will have an attached run . . .

But, then, I'm going to fence off a pasture area, probably using 5ft high horse fence or whatever (2x4 mesh size) and probably a string of barbed wire above that.

I want to put an electric wire around it to; I figure one near the ground and then one up higher, so in case something didn't get zapped below and was trying to climb up, it'd still get shocked.
big_smile.png

How far off the ground should the bottom strand, particularly, be for best protection against 4-legged varmints of all sorts?

Here's a site I bookmarked when putting our solar electric fence up for our horses.
Our bottom wire is about 4 to 6 inches from the bottom but you may want yours even closer depending on the size of your chickens and then move upward spacing for what predators are common in your area.
I put the bottom wire so close to the ground because we are in a very rural area and have loose dogs from time to time and lots of coyotes.
The wires are spaced 6 inches apart, with the top wire at 4 ft from the ground so that our tallest quarter horse isn't tempted to put his head over it.
So far...so good.

http://www.afence.com/Electric_Fence/how_to_elecfence/elecinstall.htm

It's all about the voltage.. If you can hit 5000-6000 volts in a "real-world" setup (warts, weeds, wetness and all), it doesn't really matter what type kind of charger you're running. Solar or mains, makes no difference.

Anything higher than about 6000V is basically icing, because 6000V is generally enough to keep bulls from fighting across a fence...and that's saying something.

I'm a firm believer in electric fence.

I love electric fence as well. Skunk smell in the yard this morning, but all the birds are fine. Our cats (whom we love and want to coexist with chickens) will not go near it.

Now if we can just figure out how to deter hawks from our large open runs.....
roll.png

So how high off the ground is the best height for the bottom strand?

One of my main concerns was keeping out random dogs during the daytime while the birds might be out roaming around, but if it'll also do its duty to keep coons/possums and such at bay at night, that will be awesome as well.
smile.png

do you need a chicken wire fence between the electric fence and the chickens?
will they get zapped by the fence and die?

just new to the electric thing

Also, solar electric fence? Guess I'll google it

Do you think we will all be saying I'll bing it soon?

Back
Top Bottom