Electric Fence Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TCollier, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I am running electric out to my coops and I am going to also run electric fencing around both coops. Those of you that have electric fencing what height do you start your wire at and how high does it go? I was thinking the first strand would be 6 inches the 2nd 12, 3rd 24 and 4th 36. I was going to run it at least 10 feet out away from the coops on all sides. Here is the pic of the coops. They are pretty secure already but I just want to give them a bit more protection.

[​IMG]

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It's wherever you want it. I've done 12 & 24 against coons but if weasels are your concern you can go lower. Just watch for grass and weeds growing up into the lower level and discharging the fence.

3. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    There will be no weeds or grass growing up onto the fence. It will be kept cut low enough to eliminate that issue. Pretty much the grass will be the same height as in the picture. Is 2000 volts continuous enough to persuade coons and such to stay away?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I've heard the first should be around 3" to discourage digging, but that's right against the coop fence. But since you're building a separate electric fence, I would go with 6".

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I don't know if you have mink in your area but the lower the better when it comes to them. 2000 volts should do it.

6. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    We definitely have Mink in the area. I have trapped a bunch of them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    My lowest is 4". It's right on the fence though. Honestly it's a pain to keep the weeds trimmed, although the hens do like to help in that department. I leave it off during the day since they like to stick their heads out there and pick the grass.

8. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I only plan to have it on at night after they are locked up. I work from home during the day and have a view of the yard and a gun sitting close by.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Is 2000 volts continuous enough to persuade coons and such to stay away?

Continuous chargers are dangerous.
    They can start fires, and kill animals
    Pulsing chargers are MUCH safer​

10. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would say 6 to 8 inches high for the first wire, the second can be 10 to 12 from the first. We use the pulsing charger on our horse fence. It's a lot safer with kids around. Even though we rarely turn it on, my grandsons think it is fun to dare each other to touch it. [​IMG] lol

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by