Electric fence question

wprebeck

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
I have a smallish flock of aro und a dozen hens and two roosters, evenly mixed between RIR's and Barred rocks. We have an enclosed coop they stay in for the most part, but ilike to let them out to range around. I have an electric fence running around the inside of my fence, to help keep my dogs in the fence. I've seen too many dogs dig or climb out, so this keeps themout of my garden and in the yard. I've also got some goats that are kept enclosed and like to let turnout. Typically, when I kennel the dogs inside, I'll let the chickens & goats out to roam. Problem is, with the fence off, my goats are destroying my peach trees and blackberry bushes. I've always left it off, because I'd thoughts the fence would hurt the birds, especially after seeing a jay die in it. Its over 3000 volts, and is made for cattle. Will it hurt my birds, or not?

I have a electric fence on the outside of my pen and it is 50,000 volts. It just gives the birds a good bump. There is no amperage and amps is what kills. If it did kill a bird there is something wrong with it. Don't use it

we have an electric fence for are run and an 8 week old chicken got shocked and was fine so your chickens should be fine.

Last edited:
Ditto what others have said. I have electric poultry netting, probably 10 - 15,000 volts. I've gotten a few shocks from it, but the chickens bump it once and learn pretty quick. No ill effects to the birds.

Back
Top Bottom