Electric fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ginagallina, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Ginagallina

Ginagallina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    North central Louisiana
    I have a question about predictors and hot wire protection. I am building a fence to close off a corner of my backyard for a yard for my chicks when they get big enough to leave the coop. (Haven't even got them yet). 1 side of my fence is wrought iron and the other sides are black chain link all 4 ft. high. I am going to put hardware cloth the total height of the wrought iron and 2 ft. up on the chain link. Then I am going to put a strand of hot wire at the bottom about 2-4 inches off the ground about 10-12 in. out. Then at the top put another strand around it at he standard distance the holders are. I am even thinking of putting another strand about 2ft. up from the bottom,maybe over kill but better than my chicks being killed. My question is this. Will the bottom wire work to prevent anything from digging under or do I still need to put the wire on the ground out a foot or so? I really don't want to have that extra expense because I've already spent a small fortune with coop, water and electrical line and the fencing material as well as the electric fence.
    I'm getting nervous as the day approaches to pick up my chicks. I live where there are lots of coons, foxes, and opossums as well as neighborhood dogs and cats roaming freely.

2. Ginagallina

Ginagallina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    North central Louisiana
    I meant predator.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    As long as the wires remain hot, you shouldn't need an apron.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by