Electric fencing

Ok, I'm back for more advice from all you experts!
smile.png
I bought a Zareba 5 mile used electric fence charger..... I can't find how many joules that is. It retails for about $53.00, and I got it for $20.00. Was this the good deal I thought it was, or did I buy a piece of junk? And will it run the electric poultry netting I"m planning to buy next for my brahmas? I lock my chickies inside their house at night, and plan to run a strand of electric under the windows in case a raccoon decides to get too close. But, otherwise, I mostly need the fence for when I let them out to play during the daytime when I'm home. I have a 130 lb. Kuvasz who is really fluffy..... do you think this netting will keep him away from the chickens? He's pretty well trained, and doesn't test fences as a rule...but he is fairly curious about wanting to chase the chicks to see what will happen. He wouldn't set out to kill them, but in his playfulness, unsupervised, i'm quite sure he would. Otherwise, there are coyotes, a woodchuck, and raccoons around.....but during the daytime, I think my kuvasz and our other dog will discourage any visits.

What do ya'll think? will this $20 charger I found on craigslist work for me? I guess I'll buy one of the 165' rolls of poultry net...do ya'll have a fave brand?

Quote:
It won't do any permanent damage. They will quickly learn to stay away from it

Is the Patriot charger for $39.00 any good?

NO!!! It only has .04 Joules My smallest good charger is 3 Joules, and I have one that puts out 15 Joules

Look at Parmak chargers, and get the biggest one you can afford.
Electro net has a LOT of resistance and needs a good charger to be effective.

I have MILES of electric fence and 6 different chargers, and I've wasted some money on small "bargain" ones before I learned better.

http://www.parmakusa.com/Fencers/110.htm

****** yes i think it could do alot of nerve damage to a dog that small ... BE CAREFUL
hide.gif

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing.... I don't want my chihuahuas to touch an electric fence, no matter what.....but, did ask in case they slip out the door unsupervised at some point in time.....has never happened, but ya never know. (I guard the little guys with my life, you know?)......so nice to hear from so many animal lovers on this site.

Quote:
bumping.....

The only way to know if it is sufficient is to set everything up and then check the voltage with a tester. If it is less than 6000v then I would suspect it is too week (assuming your fence is properly insulated and tickety boo.) At $53 I think it will be less than .5J. Being fluffy he is likely to be quite well insulated but there are tricks to improve the effectiveness of a fence . The best is baiting.

Clodbuster, Thanks SO much for your reply about the fence and the charger. Excellent advice, and good common sense. You explained that so well. I did buy the Premier electric poultry netting, 165 ft. I believe....and will try it out soon, and test it.

Wondering what about letting my chicks out in it.... they are about 6 weeks old, brahmas, and pretty large for chicks, pretty well feathered by now too..... will it hurt them, or should I wait a while longer to turn them out in it with the electricity on?

Thanks again! Ya'll have been a world of help!!!! Wish someone would come over and hook it all up for me, too!
smile.png

will it hurt them, or should I wait a while longer to turn them out in it with the electricity on?

I doubt it will "hurt" them, as in cause permanent damage.
Mine will often get shocked on my fence and they just squawk and move faster

The pulse only lasts 1/10th of a second, with a one second pause between pulses​

Back
Top Bottom