Electric hen brooder...

pesties

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
Anyone else use these? My first chicks hatched yesterday and have just moved them to one of these, but as its my first time with chicks, I am not sure how to tell they are the right temperature?
idunno.gif

The general rule of thumb is 90 to 95 degrees for week one, decreasing by 5* a week until such time that you are down to 70* (end of week 5) at which time chicks do not normally need supplemental heat.

Having said that, watch your chicks behavior instead. Chicks that are cold will stay bunched up under the heat source, sometimes peeping very loudly. They will look distressed. Chicks that are too warm will get as far away from the heat source as they can. Sometimes they will even hold their little wings out and pant. What you want to see is the chicks moving around in their brooder, sometimes under the heat source, sometimes not; peeping in a contented way - not too loud.

thank you for that. I think I have it right, they are at the moment sleeping under the brooder, but every now and then get up and walk around and peep
tongue.png
They don't seem interested in food or water yet, I did dip their beaks very carefully in the water, but as they are less than 24 hours old, maybe they are not ready yet?
idunno.gif

well it's my first time with Chicks, and I have an ecoglow ( seems similar to the electric hen brooder) and it's pretty simple. No temp adjustments, they go under and leave if they feel too hot!

Good luck, mine are 4 weeks old and I love the fact that I dont have to deal with temps and worry- my ecoglow is plugged in they go under if they need heat and leave if they are comfortable
smile.png

Quote:
For approx. the first three days they will still be living off the absorbed yolk, so it's not unusual that they aren't immediately interested in food and water. Just have it available for them and they will get to it when ready. If you feel it might be necessary dip their beaks in the water and set them down by the food.

Back
Top Bottom