Electric netting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sgarrison, Mar 23, 2009.

1. sgarrison

sgarrison Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Slate Hill, NY
    Anyone have experience with the electric poultry netting? Not as a permanent run, but just to give the girls a safe place for the day....

2. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I love mine! It's easy to move, and keeps most of them in [​IMG] It won't protect from ariel predators of course.

3. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:Which is why I have a shotgun. SSS [​IMG]

4. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I have electric poultry netting fence from Kencove. It is of high quaility and easy to put up. Believe me predators (especially dogs) won't mess with it. We love it.

Go to their website for more info: www.Kencove.com.

Donnabelle

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm more of a www.premier1supplies.com fan , but it is good stuff as long as you are willing to respect its idiosyncrasies (make REAL sure you keep the grass under it mowed extremely short, which will entail frequently taking down the fence during fast grass-growth season, but it is real easy to take down and put back up) and hook a GOOD charger up to it (they require considerably more current than you may be used to for a tape or 'normal' wire electric fence). Remember electronet won't protect vs hawks.

Have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:are you the one who emailed my mom today? She works at Kencove is a major seller there [​IMG] She said someone emailed her about being on byc, mentioning Kencove on BYC and loving the product. [​IMG] I told mom I'd go on and find whoever it was and say thanks [​IMG]

7. bayside chick

bayside chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Stupid question here...but will the netting harm the chicks? [​IMG]

8. bayside chick

Mar 19, 2009
    Anyone know how the chickens would not get hurt by this type fencing?... [​IMG]

I would be very interested in it , if it`s chick safe. [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Electronet does not generally hurt chickens. A bird that gets stuck in it and can't escape may be killed, as with any other kind of animal. Or a very, very unlucky one, especially on wet ground.

But in general, a) chickens avoid touching it, being not *entirely* stupid, and b) they are much less electrically conductive than most other animals, having insulating feathers and making only poor contact with the ground, so all other things being equal a chicken will not get zapped as hard as you or your dog if it should touch the fence.

Pat

10. bayside chick

Mar 19, 2009
    I never thought of it like that...thanks. Sounds like a very good investment. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by