1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Electric Poultry Fencing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickintexas, Jan 2, 2014.

1. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    We will be ordering our meat birds soon and have decided to free-range them but within the confines of electric poultry netting. Where is a good source for the electric fencing? Any tips or less expensive alternatives I could use? The price range I have found on the fencing is all over the place. I don't want to get stuck with cheap junk but I also don't want to overpay with company A when I could have bought it for less from company B.
    Thanks!

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    Instead of "free ranging" them you could "pasture raise" them just build a 2 foot high rectangle out of 2x3's. That's what I did. It didn't cost much. You just move it every day to another patch of grass. Mine kind of looks like this one.[​IMG]

3. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Very nice! How many birds can that hold? Did you go with plans?

4. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    No. the one in the picture isn't mine. say if you want a dozen or more meatbirds then you can just biuld a basic frame and then wrap chicken wire around it. If you built a 4 x 8 then you would need 8 or 9 boards that measure 2" by "3or 4 and each one being 8 feet long. It's a very basic frame. Then wrap some chicken wire around it and staple it down real good so that nothing can burst through the fence. And then just put a piece of plywood on the top and on the sides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by