electrical extension cord to coop

CMcGrath71

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Hi Y'all,

If you live in the Northeast, perhaps you can relate...we just had our first big snowstorm and cold snap of the year. Since this is my first year with my flock (of 6), I was very worried about my girls, but they all did great!

Now here's the issue: I know there are various methods to deal with freezing water. I've been putting water out for them in the morning. But I figured I'd save myself some time and get an electric water heater. I'd have to run an extension cord from the garage to use it. But, I'm not quite sure what the best way to get the extension cord end into the coop without creating a hole that critters (like mice and rats) could get into. One thought I had was to use steel wool around the extension cord in the hole, but I'm not sure if that would work. Since I just got over a rat issue, I don't want to create any opportunities!

Any thoughts on this?

Can you caulk the opening? If you do, you should put something over it so the hens can't peck at it.

I have a mesh run and was able to pull the extension cord through existing space for my water heater. You may also want to get an extension cord cover.

Oh shoot, I meant to get the cord into the run, not the coop.
The run is framed with 2x4s and covered in 1/2 hardware cloth. It has a metal roof. The extension cord plug won't fit through the hardware cloth & I don't want to cut it and create an opening. I guess maybe drill through a 2x4 and then caulk it?

I'd probably get too clever and put in a tiny wood hatch that can flip open and lock closed when not in use. Cut a big enough opening in the hardware cloth (maybe up a few feet off the ground, to minimize chance of rodent intrusion), sandwich wood for a frame around it, then hinge on a door big enough to cover the opening entirely when closed, with some sort of hasp to lock when not in use.

Yeah, the bottom of the run has hardware cloth under it about 6 inches down (rat proofing). But I like the idea of a hatch.

I'd probably get too clever and put in a tiny wood hatch that can flip open and lock closed when not in use. Cut a big enough opening in the hardware cloth (maybe up a few feet off the ground, to minimize chance of rodent intrusion), sandwich wood for a frame around it, then hinge on a door big enough to cover the opening entirely when closed, with some sort of hasp to lock when not in use.
What I would do and have, too.
Cut HC enough for cord end, then plywood screwed on with slot for cord to cover hole.

I just run the cord under the door to the coop and tuck it into a corner so it’s out of the way when I close the door. Or you could go over the top of the run and under the roof as well.

Cutting just enough through the HC might be the most practical. Packing, tightly, steel wool around the hole will keep the rodents out. Better, though, would be to cut some small pieces of HC and close the hole - you can use metal wire to securely attach the pieces. Might not look pretty, but it will work. Maybe a combination of HC patching and steel wool. :)

Back
Top Bottom