Electrified dog kennel?

TexasVet

Songster
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Willis TX
My chicken yard is made up of a bunch of dog kennel panels that are all hooked together. I love using them because it's so easy to reconfigure the pen when I want separate runs or want to let some grass grow back up.

So here's the question.... can I just hook a fence charger directly to the fence panels, or will they short out because they're directly on the ground?

Kathy in Texas

Try this from TSC

Home / Fencing / Electric Fencing / Electric Fence Insulators / Chain Link Insulator
Chain Link Insulator

View Larger SKU Number: 3600485

Chain Link Insulator; Yellow Color; Polyethylene Material; For Electric Fence; 10 per Bag

Heavy-duty bracket clamps securely to chain link fence. Extends wire 4 1/2". Packed 10 per bag.

Thanks for all the info! I found some insulators that are designed to clip onto chain link on Amazon for about $7. Also picked up a couple of rolls of wire and a charger. Grand total was less than $70, and it'll be here in two days.

If Amazon doesn't have it, nobody does!

Kathy in Texas

Well, I hope I have the same results. It's a pain in the butt having to go lock them up and let them out, especially on days like today... 41 degrees, soaked ground, and drizzling rain.

I'm getting a new henhouse next week, so will be redoing the whole chicken yard. This time I hope to do it right so I don't have to keep trapping and killing coons and possums. Wouldn't mind zapping the neighbor's dogs either! Every time they get loose they head straight to my chicken pen.

Kathy in Texas

It sounds cruel, but zapping an errant dog (especially if it's not your own) is rather satisfying. Dogs are smart, and it really doesn't take most of them more than one time getting popped by that fence.

I don't know how you're going to place yours, but what we did was to run four strands: 6", 18", 36", and one along the top of the fence, just in case. On the pens we did later, there are just two strands--low and high. We have plenty of fox, 'possum, and raccoons here, as well as loose dogs, and we haven't had any problems yet.

ETA: Your weather report is EXACTLY the same as mine right now. Are we neighbors?

Last edited:
No, but Arkansas is on our list of most likely retirement spots. I'm down here in Texas, about 40 miles North West of Houston.

Nasty, nasty weather we're having. We just broke a record for coldest March 13th, and it's not supposed to be much better tomorrow. But at least the drought was a wee bit broken.... got 2.25 inches of rain since yesterday, so now we're only about 5 inches behind in rainfall. I fear another long, hot, miserable summer, punctuated by gargantuan hurricanes.

Arkansas is looking better all the time...

Kathy in Bellville TX

Back
Top Bottom