Electrified Poultry Neting

bluemooneggs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Virginia
Does anybody use electrified poultry netting for their chickens. We have a fox problem will it keep them out and the chickens in? Are there other good options for a chicken run?

I've got the 48" from Premier. I have not lost a chicken to any predator since I started using it around Christmas. I only lost two to foxes in three years before I got it, so I can't say it is absolutely without a doubt effective against them, but I think it will be. I mainly got it because people like to drop off dogs out here in the country.

Foxes can climb many fences. Someone on this forum had a video showing one climbing a chain link fence. If your run is small enough, you can cover it and make it predator proof. But it is really hard and really expensive to make a large run truly predator-proof.

I have a 12' x 32' run that is pretty predator-resistent but I don't consider it predator-proof. Part of it is covered but not all and they can still come in over the top of the coop. But on the fence on the open part, I ran fence up about 2 feet above the posts. It is just standing there under its own stiffness. The theory is that if something like a fox or raccoon tries to climb it, the fence will bend back over them over under their weight and they won't be able to climb in. I really raised it to stop them flying out, but used this method since I was raising it anyway.

The biggest problem I have with the electric netting is that I have to regularly take it down to mow around the boundary. The grass and weeds will ground it out when they are wet. How often you have to do this of course depends on your climate and how fast the grass and weeds grow.

I think the chicken's feathers pretty well protect them against getting shocked but if their comb touches it when it pulses, they do get hit. I'd hoped that they would keep that stuff eaten down so I would not have to move it so often, but most seem to learn to not get too close to it. I have seen the rooster get hit a few times, so maybe they have to occasionally relearn that lesson.

I also have the Premier poultry net. I also have problems with foxes and the occasional stray dog. They took more than one when they hit me. I've had the netting up now for a couple of months. I bought 3 100' lengths of the poultry plus netting. It's 4' high and has the double spikes. I used the AC fence charger that Premier offered. It was very easy to install. The first day, the chickens were really curious about the fence. I had a couple get shocked, 1 went over. But after a clipped wing for the adventurer, no more problems at all. They seem totally content in there. Now I can let them out to enjoy the whole day, and I don't have to worry about them. I use weed killer all the way around so I don't have to bother with mowing the fence line. The fox are still around, as I have seen them and can hear them calling sometimes, but I have not lost a bird. Animals always check out things with their noses, With this fence pushing over 7000V, that will be a very painful experience. I would highly recommend the fence, I'm going to get another 100' length to expand the area.
Jack

I've had my electric net fence for more than a year now and I could never live without now! I have a portable coop, so I can move this fence wherever I need it to be. I always had problems with racoons, weasels, coyotes, and the occasional loose dog but since I got this fence, I haven't lost a single chicken. I bought mine online at FarmTek.com and got a 25 mile solar charger. I like having a larger charger on the fence so it makes a BIG impression the first time it hits the critter. I've seen the neighbor dog get hit once; she run away with her tail between her legs and hasn't bothered my flock since. I LOVE this fence. The only thing I would suggest is to buy some cheap step-in posts (I got mine at TSC) because the fence can sag a little between the posts. I also use 4 metal t-posts on the corners to get the fence good and taught. Good luck.

Where do you buy the premier fencing?

Google is your friend. I recommend the kit instead of trying to get the different pieces. Cost was high enough that shipping was free.

I came up with something that helps with the fence grounding out. I don't know if I can describe it, but I'll try. The problem is that the bottom two or three wires sort of lay over and touch the ground in a few places. You can hear rthem arcing when the grass is wet. I take a short stick with a fork in it and hook that on maybe the second or third wire up, and sort of stand that up, more of bending it a bit the other way. Then just push the tip of the stick in the ground just enough to keep it from laying back over. If I remember I'll take my camera and get a picture.

I use the corner posts that come with the kit and use rope to guy those back to camping spikes. You definitely need to do something to brace the corner posts to stop sagging.

The only real problem I've had with it was when a deer ran into it one night and broke a corner post. I'm guessing it touched the fence, got shocked, and reacted violently.

Editted to add photos

Last edited:
Thank you for the info we are definitely going to get the electric fencing!
wee.gif

I have a funny story about that fencing. We were visiting a friend and I didn't realize the fencing was on as we admired their chickens. My daughter said to me "Mommy someone kicked my back!" It didn't register what she was saying and in that exact same moment I touched the fence. WOW! It does feel like someone is kicking you in the back! I then told my daughter not to the touch the fence and explained it was an electric fence. So having experienced the fence I would say it works for humans as well.

I have the Premier fencing also, the regular kind that is 12 ft between posts and the newerplus kind that is 6ft between posts. I have been using it without electricity to keep chickens from flying out which works well since the top is too flimsy to jump on and over. One word of caution though for using it without electicity is that your cats and small dogs may get stuck in it. We have now rescued our yorkie and 2 coon cats from choking and getting totally stuck in these fences. I finally ordered the ac controller to prevent loss of life around here. Chicken poo is too tempting I guess.

You can go to your local farm supply store and buy extra plastic support posts to hold up those lower strands as well.

Back
Top Bottom