Electrolytes For Hot Summers-I'm using a 4 gallon nipple watering system

sbhkma

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Texas-Just a little bit South of Weird
I have 6 pullets almost 8 weeks old now. Since it gets seriously hot here for a good part of the summer, I was wondering about using electrolytes. Most directions I read say to mix it daily, but my waterer only needs filling once a week-and that's only because I want to clean it out and put in fresh water. Would electrolytes benefit my flock or would it be better to just use ACV?

Btw, my little flock dragged a small rattlesnake out from the retaining wall the other day. Luckily I was there to smush its head before it got one of them! The very next day one of them found a small garter snake and had a snack. Now they prowl around the retaining wall for the first hour they're out in the morning, looking for more goodies. Of course, this reinforced our thinking that the railroad tie retaining wall needs to go. Too nice a hidey hole for things-that-I'd-rather-weren't-there.
barnie.gif

I figured the many days in a row we have of over 100 degrees would qualify as stress... it sure stresses ME
somad.gif

Just trying to be proactive on potential health issues, perhaps a little "too" proactive.Thanks for your input, george.

lau.gif

I grew up in northern Minnesota. Now living in central Texas. Went from winters of 35 below with 60+ below wind chill to summers of over 100 degrees. I've gotten "sorta" used to the heat and will take it over the cold ANY day, but boy oh boy by the end of July I begin to wonder about that... and yeah.. it's times it feels very much like scorched earth!

What kind of electrolytes do you give?

Because chickens don't sweat or perspire in the conventional sence I don't see any need for electrolytes just because of hot weather.  However electrolytes with minerals and vitamins can be a good thing to support chickens that are stressed or to give chicks a good start in life.

Summer update:
My girls have found a way to keep themselves cool. I have 2 A/C units, one for upstairs and one down. They both have drip lines on the shady side of the house, with sage bushes by them. I put a shallow bowl under each line to collect water and the girls take turns standing belly-deep in the water to cool off. So I got a bigger pan and put under in the shadier one. It gets fed cool water all day and I add a frozen water bottle on really hot days. They now have two cool running water bowls to drink from and wade in. They seem pretty happy.

Back
Top Bottom