Electrolytes in water?

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
Are electrolytes necessary for chicks/chickens?

Hi, I'm new to owning chickens. I have 3 Rhode Island Red chicks (1 week 5 days), and the guy at the store selling the chicks wanted us to buy something called "save a chick electrolytes". He said it was good to have it in their water the first few days at home, but I haven't seen this anywhere. No one i know with chickens has used electrolytes, or heard of people using them for chicks. I ended up not buying the electrolytes. I looked up if i should buy them when i got home, and i got mixed results. I am getting 3 more chicks today, so i'm wondering if I should buy a few packets if they get sick.

What are electrolytes used for? - is it multipurpose?
When do I use them, and when should I stop?
Do I wean off of it once I give it to the chicks, or just switch to normal water?
Should it be given everyday?

I always keep electrolytes on hand for birds that are struggling with an illness or injury although i have never just given them to chicks just because. I think it's really just a personal preference but i don't claim to be an expert.

Electrolytes are supposed to help with stress. They are NOT meant to be used long term.

No you don't have to give them to chicks but some people find an extra boost of some sort to be helpful when you consider chicks have been sent through the mail and then taken to your home. I now use Poultry Nutri-Drench for that purpose as it has a bit of molasses to help perk chicks up and a mix of vitamins.

You can always make your own electrolytes at home if needed, no real reason to buy them other than convenience. If you do a search on here it should turn up a few "recipes" (I don't know the ratios off the top of my head).

At nearly two weeks, they're past the stress stage. Unnecessary. That said, 1-2 day olds can benefit from some electrolytes for a couple of days. Or any chicken in extreme temps (hi or lo) but not more than once a week and still offering plain water.

Back
Top Bottom