elevated coop - open underneath for chickens

saildog

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
I am building a new barn/ coop and my old coop is elevated about 18 inches and the chickens like being under it when it is hot.
My question is : Is it OK to wall off 2 sides of the area under the coop floor, and hardware cloth the other 2 sides or do you think they would then lay eggs under there as it would be darker and less airy. I was going to do that for appearance only so that the front and side view looked more like a regular barn.

I am building a new barn/ coop and my old coop is elevated about 18 inches and the chickens like being under it when it is hot.
My question is : Is it OK to wall off 2 sides of the area under the coop floor, and hardware cloth the other 2 sides or do you think they would then lay eggs under there as it would be darker and less airy. I was going to do that for appearance only so that the front and side view looked more like a regular barn.
Sure you could do that but how do you get access to clean? Many times people will build a coop that is fine for the birds but a pain for human access. Crawling around on your hands and knees may be fine every once and awhile but I sure would not want to do it often.

My coop is part of the run, along the edge. The open area underneath is shelter for the chickens from the sun and rain. The coop is 24 inches off the ground. The chickens keep it turned over the same as the rest of the run. Consequently, the only debris that might warrant cleaning is the chicken feathers around the edges in the wire mesh.

My chickens are rather persistent about laying in the nesting boxes.

Chris

do you have it wired to the ground that 2 feet or is there wood that goes to the ground so it is closed on 2 or 3 sides . ?

Back
Top Bottom