Eliminating egg eating snakes (may seem graphic to some)

First off is that I don't want to upset anyone that is against eliminating snakes. I know they have a purpose and a use and I have heard all the arguments as to why we should not kill them.
This post is not to raise another heated debate about killing snakes.
That said, my dad has come up with a way to catch snakes that invade chicken nests looking for eggs.
I just spent four days there visiting and during that time he caught five black rat snakes all over five feet long and two of those were over six feet long. Everyone was caught in a nest eating eggs.
All of the snakes he caught were killed.
If there is enough interest I will tell how he caught them by posting here.
Again it is not my interest to start a debate over the killing of snakes but if anyone wants me to share a way to stop snakes from eating eggs and chicks please let me know.
Yes absolutely tell me how. I depend on me eggs and want to stop them at all cost!

My coops are snake proof all but this one but the rat snake got fried trying to get in it. Sorry Charlie!!
This might be a solution for my lizard egg thief problem! My hens have an open coop and free range but if I lock them inside a few days and put an electric fence/wire around the coop then the thieving lizard might get a "shock" and not return! Hmmm
I agree with the bird netting. We've caught many with it. You can let them go or dispatch of them quickly as to avoid suffering.
With this method how do we avoid our hens getting caught and tangled in the bird netting?

First off is that I don't want to upset anyone that is against eliminating snakes. I know they have a purpose and a use and I have heard all the arguments as to why we should not kill them.
This post is not to raise another heated debate about killing snakes.
That said, my dad has come up with a way to catch snakes that invade chicken nests looking for eggs.
I just spent four days there visiting and during that time he caught five black rat snakes all over five feet long and two of those were over six feet long. Everyone was caught in a nest eating eggs.
All of the snakes he caught were killed.
If there is enough interest I will tell how he caught them by posting here.
Again it is not my interest to start a debate over the killing of snakes but if anyone wants me to share a way to stop snakes from eating eggs and chicks please let me know.
Yes, I want to know! Texas girl.

Back
Top Bottom