Eliminating Some Ducks, Questions

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
I have a terrible male to female Duck ratio.

3 Ancona males
2 WH males

The 2 WH seem to still be gentle and easy going, which is my experience with the whole breed.
The 3 Anconas however...
2 Anconas seem more even tempered, gentle with the ladies, and nice coexisting with the chickens and chicks.
One Ancona is a jerk. I know it's normal drake behavior, but I don't know if I should tolerate it. He chases the other boys constantly, bites, and even gets mean with the chicks and pullets.

We have mixed ladies. A Blue Swedish, one Ancona, and several WH. If these brats ever lay any eggs, or dare to set on fertile ones, I don't care what sort of mutt Duck comes out so the decision here doesn't have any bearing.

I have tried posting 2 pairs of drakes for sale, no luck yet. In the meantime, they eat an absurd amount of food. At least the hens have a small chance of laying...maybe.

I'm starting to think my Better Homes and Gardens recipe for Duck looks good.

What are your opinions?

I don't know if my ducklings are drakes, but I do know if any of them start causing any type of harm, they will not be living here. They will be either going in the freezer or to a new home. I'm someone who likes to keep my flocks running smoothly because I don't want the added stress of separating those who cause issues (unless they're my favorites I'll make an exception for them). So far the roosters I've had in my flock that are too aggressive have found new homes with zero issues. I'm someone who would rather rehome than butcher, but we are starting to do meat chickens and ducks in the spring due to my husband wanting to.

It's up to you if you want to separate your drake from everyone else or if you want to make a nice meal out of him. I think that you know what is best for your flock and the drake causing problems.

Good luck

I like to keep a drake or drakes as long as I have enough females for the boys at least 3 and up is preferable. I am treading in new water this year keeping one of my Runner drakes that hatched. Which gives me 2 Runner drakes and a Muscovy drake. Never have had any problems with my Muscovy he has 4 females of same breed, My second drake has 6 and my newest has 3. Main thing here is keeping the girls safe and keeping fighting to min. I will separate if I need to but I'll take it a day at a time. I really like to keep a drake with my girls I always have. Never had one yet that was a jerk. And since 2004 I have had a few drakes.

I hate to say it but if you only have 5 ducks you should only have 1 drake. Or separate them out with a female each but that really won’t be good either or get more females so the boys have at least 2-3 girls each and each drake and his girls most likely in their own area.

Last edited:
Setting up new areas, pens, whatever have you is not an option at this time. Some day I'll like a separate duck to chicken run altogether.

Jerkface was decent. Didn't have much meat to him. I imagined the Anconas would have much more than he did.

So down to 1 Anconas, 2 WH, since the kids won't let me get rid of the one named War.
The WH seem to stick to their own clique while the bigger breed ducks congregate together. Will this change just based on maturity, or could I use it to my advantage?

Side thought...
Are Runners any good for meat?

Setting up new areas, pens, whatever have you is not an option at this time. Some day I'll like a separate duck to chicken run altogether.

Jerkface was decent. Didn't have much meat to him. I imagined the Anconas would have much more than he did.

So down to 1 Anconas, 2 WH, since the kids won't let me get rid of the one named War.
The WH seem to stick to their own clique while the bigger breed ducks congregate together. Will this change just based on maturity, or could I use it to my advantage?

Side thought...
Are Runners any good for meat?
NO they are not good for meat! They weight about nothing and are for laying!

Back
Top Bottom