Elyria, OH 44035

jessieandjustin

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
I'm trying to find somewhere online that states whether or not I am able to raise chickens in Elyria, OH 44035. I just want 3 or 4 bantams and I have a decent-sized backyard. Can anyone help me with the laws about that? I can't find them on this site either.

Thanks,
Jessie

Quote:
frow.gif
Hi! I grew up in Elyria! Small world! I have been researching this for my mom who still lives there and as far as I am finding it seems to be okay in most parts of town. A few months ago I came across a map online of the Zoning for Elyria also read through the ordinances. In most of the zones it appears to be okay. If you want to PM me with a more specific area of where you are living I can try to help you out with links and such. Be patient with me it took a bit of digging! So far the only places not allowed are obviously the apartment developments. Like on the North side and a few small areas by the mall.
Sarah

Hello!

I'm also in Elyria and interested in raising some chickens next spring. I'm curious to know if you found any more info regarding Elyria's zoning laws.

Thanks!

Quote:
Hey! I sent this to the OP. I'll just put it here so others from home can see it. We just got my mom 2. She lives in Elyria. Good luck to you! Let me know how it goes!..

Okay...... Now remember I am not a lawyer or anything, but I can read well. I have included two links for you.
Both of these are linked through the City of Elyria website.

The first is to the zoning map provided by the city of Elyria web site. You are located in Zone two. Most of which, in the Windsor school area is zoned as R-MD. Meaning Residential of Medium density. Double check your exact address to make sure. There are a few small pockets Zoned otherwise but I felt for the sake of time and likely-hood we will deal with the most likely.

http://www.ci.elyria.oh.us/images/page-5lg.gif

So now the second link comes in that will take you to the site that keeps the records of the codes and ordinances of the City of Elyria. You can easily so a search for the R-MD section to read through but I have specifically linked to the page that states as follows:

Residential Medium Density

Principally permitted uses are as follows:

A. Agriculture, provided that such use is limited to the non-commercial farming of crops and non-commercial animal husbandry.

- The definition of "Agriculture" in Elyria's ordinance is as follows: 1125.03 "Agriculture" means the use of land for agricultural purposes, including farming of crops, horticulture, floriculture, viticulture, animal husbandry, dairy farming and the necessary accessory uses for packing, treating or storing the produce; however, the operation of any such accessory uses shall be secondary to that of normal agricultural activities.

(*side note* I looked up "viticulture" and it is the science, production and study of grapes which deals with the series of events that occur in the vineyard. So yea. tongue) You learn something new everyday!

Although poultry is not specifically listed I, and I think many people, would take this as meaning as long as it is not a nuisance to your neighbors it is allowable. As LONG AS you do not sell the chickens or the eggs you get from them.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/ … :elyria_oh

I can't imagine the law director would care (or know too much about it). I attempted to contact MANY people in my town about it and was told by THE ACTUAL zoning and code employee that " i could probably just research it online" as she really has no idea. roll

From the above a reasonable person can infer that the City of Elyria would permit it. Doing a specific search on "poultry" at the second link turns no codes or ordinances against keeping chickens. That is not to say that some one with a bug in their butt might not try to change that if they were unhappy with you having them. But most cities really don't want to deal with it anyway. So now I would say make sure none of your neighbors of adjoining lots are abnormally cantankerous and go for it. If someone does take issue you have the tools to take them on. This is very important...NO ONE in a position of authority likes to look stupid. Especially on a city level. If you go ahead with your knowledge ( and I would in your position) just site the basics of the code of your zoning and quote the 1144.02 Line. Most people would rather cave than to be made to look incompetent.

I just called our Mayor's office and they in turn called the police department for me. That seemed to be the quickest and easiest route since it would be the police and/or animal control who would cite you if you were in violation. They should know the law on this and it may be your easiest route!

Thanks so much for the help...I will make some calls, but it looks like I should be ok!

Back
Top Bottom