Emaciated, lethargic chicks…sour crop!

Silkies N Satins

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
Hi all,
I have two silkie chicks that have sour crop. I didn’t handle them much for about a week and when I did they were super skinny and light…basically just feathers and skin. I know it’s completely my fault for not paying as much attention as I should, but I need some help. One has a squishy and gassy crop, the other is better, with a crop them at feels normal. I read to use diluted ACV for treatment, and to let their crop empty for 12hrs. Then basically give ACV for the next couple days. They’re so skinny I don't think they could handle a couple days without food. What should I do? I read that plain Greek yogurt is good. How can I make sure they’re getting food, but also treating the sour crop?
*pic of the two in question. The white is the worst of the two.

Attachments

• 1DE6FE51-DBEB-42C8-81DE-A5689681850E.jpeg
    1DE6FE51-DBEB-42C8-81DE-A5689681850E.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 16
Hi all,
I have two silkie chicks that have sour crop. I didn’t handle them much for about a week and when I did they were super skinny and light…basically just feathers and skin. I know it’s completely my fault for not paying as much attention as I should, but I need some help. One has a squishy and gassy crop, the other is better, with a crop them at feels normal. I read to use diluted ACV for treatment, and to let their crop empty for 12hrs. Then basically give ACV for the next couple days. They’re so skinny I don't think they could handle a couple days without food. What should I do? I read that plain Greek yogurt is good. How can I make sure they’re getting food, but also treating the sour crop?
*pic of the two in question. The white is the worst of the two.
Welcome To BYC
How old are they?
Where are you located in the world?

Check the crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat or drink. If the crops are still full or gassy, then begin treating them.

In young birds, it would be a good idea to also treat for Coccidiosis and worms in addition to addressing the crop. If you are in the US, you can find Corid and Safeguard at stores like TSC.
Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of drinking water given for 5-7 days.
Safeguard liquid dewomer dose is 0.23ml per pound of weigh given orally once, then repeated in 10 days. This will treat Roundworms only.

Cut out the ACV and make sure your chicks are drinking well. Offer them wet mushy chick starter and a bits of scrambled egg. Make chick grit available free choice. There's no need to withhold food and you surely don't want to withhold fluids.

Follow the article below to address the crop issues, if you find the crops are not emptying. If sour, then you can find Miconazole or Clotrimazole at stores like WalMart, CVS, etc.

Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

@Wyorp Rock Thank you so much! They are about 6wks and we are located in the PNW, USA. I’ll get corid and safeguard first thing in the morning tomorrow! They have the symptoms of sour crop…wet balloon feeling, air and gurgles when I massage, but it doesn’t really smell, at least not to me. But I haven’t dealt with anything like this before. I really hope they make it thru this! I love these little ones and just wish I had paid more attention!😢

@Wyorp Rock Thank you so much! They are about 6wks and we are located in the PNW, USA. I’ll get corid and safeguard first thing in the morning tomorrow! They have the symptoms of sour crop…wet balloon feeling, air and gurgles when I massage, but it doesn’t really smell, at least not to me. But I haven’t dealt with anything like this before. I really hope they make it thru this! I love these little ones and just wish I had paid more attention!😢
Re-check the crops again first thing before they eat/drink. If the the crops are still gassy and gurgly, then I would treat for Sour Crop. You won't detect an odor until the crop is very yeasty, then it's harder to get under control.

Do let them eat their normal feed (wet or dry - I prefer wet when dealing with a crop problem). Scrambled egg for a treat. Don't offer anything that's going to be harder to process right now (like scratch, seeds, veggies, etc.) until you get it all cleared up.

They are both cute! Hope all goes well, keep me posted.

Ok @Wyorp Rock, the white one was doing really bad early this morning, lying on her side and couldn’t stay up. Still had a squishy crop. So I quickly gave her some epsom salt water and hard boiled egg before I left to go to the store. She seemed to perk up a bit. I got some Miconazole at Walmart and gave her a quarter inch of a suppository. She’s now just laying there puffed up, at least she’s keeping herself upright. I read to give a quarter inch every day for seven days? What would you suggest to feed? Trying to give her some energy! How quick do these things work? Can she digest food again?

The white one has passed away. But on a good note, the grey is doing great. Perky, eating, drinking and walking around. Now I know to keep a better eye on everyone, and will be sure to catch it sooner! Thank you @Wyorp Rock for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom